Chapter 10

I hear voices all around me, shouting and yelling

I hear voices all around me, shouting and yelling. But they aren't shouting words or sentences. No, they're yelling out numbers. It takes me a few moments to remember how I got here, in this box. I remember calling out for Isadora and Duncan. Pleading with the boy to let me go. Being shoved into a car. I remember the terror chilling my bones to ice. The sinister glint in Olaf's eyes as he looked at me like I was prey.

Tears spill from my eyes, my hand moving up to rub at my throat. I flinch at the pain. I can only imagine how horrible it must look.

After I wipe away my tears, I notice a small hole poked through the box. Peeking out one, I'm met with dozens of people, each one with a sign in their hands. They call out different numbers, each one higher than the one before. An auction. This must be the In Auction Olaf and Esme were talking about.

"We proceed as normal, please," I hear Olaf in his terrible accent speak up, "to the crying of Lot 49." Someone pushes the box I'm in, dragging me into the stage. I try to yell out for help, but it hurts to make any noise. "As you see, is prime specimen, this VFD. Very large with a few air holes poked in the top at last minute. Let's start th bidding."

"I bid 20." The boy from Olaf's troupe speaks up.

"Fifty!"

"Fifty-five!"

"Sixty!"

"Seventy!"

"Eighty!"

"Ninety!" The price goes higher and higher, only stopping when the boy bids $200. Olaf tries to stop the bidding, refusing to let anyone else speak up. Someone begins to push me away, when another voice yells for them to stop. He bids 204, and then things turn interesting. Everyone in the room yells out a price, along with something they don't like.

A childlike sound is heard from the side, and my heart skips. Sunny. And is she's here, so are Violet and Klaus. "She said 1,000." Violet informs the audience.

Olaf sighs. "Let the little baby give the big money to the pretty lady, and the auction is over."

Footsteps pound on the stage, coming closer and closer to the box I'm trapped in. "The only thing that's over is your horrible plan." Hands begin to rip at the box, desperately trying to remove the tape. "The room will see you've broken the law and our friends are in this box." Friend. I wish I could say. I'm the only one in here. "Duncan! Isadora! Ellis!" Something slices through the box, narrowly missing my arm. A sword. The pressure from its movement causes the box and myself to fall over. The top breaks open, and I quickly crawl out of the tiny space.

The audience gasps. "Ellis!" Warm hands lift me to my feet, before crushing me into a hug. I don't let the wince escape my lips, not wanting to ruin this moment. I cling onto Klaus' shirt, burying my head in his neck. Tears once again slide down my face.

"You had a child in that box?" Someone questions Olaf. "That is illegal. Well, not everywhere. But still."

"Of course he had a child in that box! He's not Gunther, he's Olaf!" Violet shouts.

"Why, it is. He has an eye tattoo on his ankle! Arrest this man!" The crowd erupts into a frenzy, screaming and running all around the building. I flinch at the noise, clinging tighter to Klaus. His arms pull me closer, one hand moving to brush my hair.

"Ellis, do you know where Duncan and Isadora are?" Violet asks me.

My eyes widen, and I break away from Klaus. Ignoring their gasps, I sprint off the stage, hurrying outside. Olaf's car is nowhere to be seen. He escaped already. I was too late. I could've saved my friends, but instead I was worrying about myself.

Klaus and Violet soon join me, Klaus grabbing my hand in his. "R-red her-ring." I choke out, ignoring the fire in my throat. Luckily, the siblings realize what I mean, and their shoulders slump in defeat.