Chapter 7

After driving for hours, the car finally stops

After driving for hours, the car finally stops...in a dirty looking alley. The twins exit first, gripping my upper arms and yanking me out of the vehicle. The sky is dark, which is confusing because the clock on the car said it was early afternoon. I soon find dozens of trees lining the other side of the apartment building we stand next to. That must be the reason it's so dark, but why so many trees?

Before I can think of ways to answer this question, the twins are dragging me into the building. Their grip gets tighter and tighter as we walk down a dark hallway. A figure stands at the very end of the hall, a feeling of hope washes over me.

"Help!" I yell, thrashing in the twins hold. One arm breaks free and I use it to turn and punch the other in the face. I sprint to the figure, calling out as I do so. "Please! A cruel man has captured my friends and I, please help us!"

The person stands there, staring at me. They take a step forward, entering the light. A woman stands before me, a sinister smirk on her plastic looking face. "Oh, sweetie." The woman says to me. "You're not going to get any help from me." Someone grabs my arms from behind and pulls me to them. From the disgusting stench of their breath, I instantly recognize who it is. Olaf.

"Esme, how good to see you again." He greets. "I see you've met Ellis. Annoying, isn't she?"

Esme places a hand on my cheek, glancing at my form. "This is the one the Baudelaire boy is attached to?" I feel Olaf nod from behind me. "She'll be of great use to our plan. Put her with the twins." Olaf pushes me forward, leading me up multiple flights of stairs. He doesn't stop until the very last floor, where two different elevator doors reside. Olaf opens one, and before I can blink, pushes me into it.

My throat burns as I scream, falling into what feels like an everlasting darkness. My back collides with a net, and I take the time to regain my breath. Two figures land beside me, also gasping for breath. Isadora and Duncan. The three of us sit up, gazing at our surroundings. A cage rests on a ledge to my left. Another figure lands next to Duncan. The young boy in Olaf's troupe. He forces the triplets into the cage, then turns to me. Tears stream down my face. "No, please." I beg. "Don't put me in there. Please." The boy ignores me, shoving me into the cramped space. Isadora and Duncan wrap their arms around me, and we hold each other as we watch the boy walk away. "What do we do now?"

Duncan turns to face me, looking me in the eyes. "We wait for the Baudelaires to save us." His voice doesn't waiver.

"We don't even know where they are going. We don't know where we're at. How are they going to be able to find us?"

Isadora slides her hand into mine. "They will. We must believe they will come for us."