Chapter 12

The car ride to VFD was long, and incredibly boring

The car ride to VFD was long, and incredibly boring. When stuck in a car, squished in the backseat with three other children, you begin to hate life. Sure, there was a passenger seat, but no one was willing enough to leave the others. Doesn't matter they'd only be a foot away. In this point in life, I don't think I'd ever want to leave the Baudelaires. You may catlk me crazy. I mean, these siblings seem to attract danger, but they're the closest I have to family. My relatives, they never understood me. My parents and I were outsiders in our own family. But with the Baudelaires, I feel welcomed. Comfortable.

As soon as we arrived, we were hurried into the court house. The room immediately grew silent, everyone staring at the four of us. No children in sight. I move closer to Violet, trying my best to ignore the looks. Three older women sit before everyone else. Judging from their hard faces and the fact that one is currently holding a gavel, I assume they have power over the rest of the citizens.

"Hello, my dears." One of the women greets. "We're pleases you made it. Step onto the platform so your Elders can get a good look at you." The four of us share a look before doing as told.

"Hello, I'm Violet." Said girl tries to speak, before being rudely interrupted.

"Silence! Rule number 902 states that no one may talk while on the platform." The Elders nod simultaneously.

The audience behind us hum in agreement. "You've got to be kidding." I mutter to myself.

The Elders begin to tell us how we are finally safe and Count Olaf will never hurt us here. As if. A rule isn't going to prevent Olaf from finding -or hurting- us. They then move on and say that since they are all our guardians, we have to do all of their chores. "The orphans will live with our handyman, Hector. Isn't that right, Hector." Hector rises from his seat, stammering out a few words before fainting. "Now, the next item of business, a report for, the chief of police."

The doors burst open, a woman wearing a ridiculous, blue, skintight police outfit marching up to the platform. My breathing stops, eyes widening. I grab Violets hand, trying my best not to faint like Hector. "Esme."

Klaus moves to the other side of me, glancing at me cautiously. "If Esme's here, so if Olaf."

"I think I'm going to faint."

So sorry it took so long. I was having a bit of writers block, but got through it. I plan on spreading the episodes out so they last longer. Anyways, probably won't be able to update for at least a week. If I do update sooner than surprise, but don't count on it.