Chapter 3

Once the assembly is over, I bid the Baudelaires and Quagmires goodbye, trudging to my new room. The unexpected arrival of Count Olaf -a man the Baudelaires say is absolutely horrible- has put a gloomy cloud over my head. I may barely know the siblings, but already I care for them so much. And apparently wherever Olaf is, trouble and despair is bound to follow. At the assembly, he convinced Nero that what the Baudelaires needed was a new exercise program. How he plans on getting their fortune from that, I have no idea.

"Ellis!" I turn around upon hearing my name called.

I smile. "Hello, Klaus. Is there something you wanted?"

Klaus approaches me, standing by my side so we walk together. "I wanted to thank you."

"For what?" I ask, eyes furrowed. "I haven't done anything."

It may be my mind tricking me,  but a pink tint appears to coat his cheeks. "When we tried to get Nero to notice the gym teacher was Olaf, you also tried to help. You could've been like the other students and not have believed us, but you did. Thank you."

I grab his hand, tangling our fingers together. "I know I hardly know you, but already I have so much trust in you. I'll always believe you and your siblings, and I'll help prove that man is Olaf. You're not alone in this." We reach the abandoned classroom, and I sigh. "This is me. Thank you for walking with me. I'll see you tomorrow. Good luck tonight, I hope nothing horrible happens." Klaus smiles, waving goodbye as I enter my room.

~

The next morning Klaus and Violet inform the Quagmires and myself on what happened the previous night. True to his word, Olaf made them run...in circles...all night long.

"I'm still not sure how that will help him steal your fortune." I say to Klaus while sitting in class.

His head snaps up, his hand accidentally pushing his pencil to the floor. I quickly grab it for him, replacing it on his desk. "Sorry." He mutters tiredly, a yawn escaping his lips. "I wasn't able to get much sleep. Olaf made us run until the sun rose." Before I have the chance to reply, Klaus has fallen asleep again.

Mrs. Bass's voice sounds loudly throughout the classroom. Another pop quiz...about the circumference of a pomegranate she ate the other day. The education in this school is abysmal. Instead of educating us on important things like math, English, and history, they teach us about the food they eat and the different stains on their clothes.

I reach over, gently poking Klaus in the shoulder. He grumbles, head falling back. Sighing, I grab my notebook, whacking him in the arm with it. His eyes open tiredly, and he rubs them with the back of his hand. "Hmm?"

"We're about to take a quiz." I reply, his eyes widening. "I figured you'd prefer to be awake for it." Klaus mumbles a 'thank you', opening his notebook and grabbing his pencil.

Oh my gosh, they're so cute!!! I love them!