Chapter 8

Three days. Three days the Quagmires and I have been trapped in this cage. Three days since I last saw Klaus. Isadora and Duncan believe they will find us. They have hope. I don't. I've been through a lot in my life, I've learned to never believe someone will save you. The only way to get out of something is to save yourself, but I don't know how to do that.

"Ellis, they'll be here. I know it." Isadora reassures me.  She's been saying that since we got here. They'll find us. They'll save us. Believe in them. "We'll get out here. I know we will."

"Damn it, Isadora!" I snap, glaring at the poor girl. "They are not coming! The Baudelaires are not going to come save us! Stop saying they will, we all know they aren't." Isadora gasps, scooting away from me. I sigh, bowing my head and running my fingers through my hair. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be so rude."

Duncan rests a hand on my shoulder. "It's alright, Ellis. It's been a rough couple of days, and I know this must be incredibly hard for you. Especially after everything you've been through." Without helping it, I burst into tears, collapsing into Duncan's arms. He envelopes me in a hug, running a hand through my hair. "We'll get out of this. Believe in the Baudelaires. Believe in Klaus." And I do. I believe I will see Klaus again. Duncan, Isadora, and I will survive this. I will survive this.

~

Isadora, Duncan, and I lean against each other. With nothing else to do, we've taken to retelling our time at Prufrock Preparatory. There aren't many happy or exciting memories there, but we manage to find some to laugh at.

I hear a strange sound, and sit up. The Quagmires hear it as well, and reciprocate my actions. A giant shadow falls from the sky, stopping before our cage. My heart stops. Right in front of my eyes, is Klaus Baudelaire.

A sob escapes my lips. "Klaus." I breathe, tears sliding down my face.

"Ellis." Klaus steps out of the makeshift hot air balloon. He kneels in front of me, and I reach out to grab his hand. Around us, the others converse, but all I can focus on is Klaus. His voice, his eyes, the warmth of his hand in mine. "I know so many things, but around you I almost forget how to breathe." My cheeks redden at his words. "I thought I had lost you. I was so worried."

I squeeze his hand, wishing I was in his arms instead of this dreadful cage. "Klaus, I'm scared." I admit. "Olaf, he has something horrible planned. He wants to use me against you. He murdered my parents. Klaus, I don't want to die."

Klaus reaches inside the cage, resting his hands on my cheeks. I close my eyes at his touch, savoring the feeling. "I won't let anything happen to you. I promise."

"Promise is a big word, Klaus." I remind him. His forehead rests against mine. I can feel his breath on my lips.

"I know." His lips brush against mine with every word. "But I intend to keep it."