Chapter 6

Third POV

Klaus stands besides his sisters, gulping as the students around him chant

Klaus stands besides his sisters, gulping as the students around him chant. Who can't be beat? A dead horse. He gazes at the crowd, searching for a particular person. The head of blonde hair is no where to be found. He fears the worst, and then scolds himself for thinking such awful things. Ellis is a strong girl, she can definitely take care of herself. 

Mr. Poe arrives, arms full with bags of candy. The Baudelaires try to tell him Coach Genghis is actually Count Olaf, but he doesn't listen. Olaf and Nero arrive soon after, and the five move to stand on the stage, a new chant being shouted. Remember you will die. Oh yes, Klaus definitely knew he was going to die someday.

The exam begins, the three siblings answering (and completing) each question and take given to them. Afterwards, the teachers announce they have passed their classes, and they will not be home-schooled. Olaf then steps forward, claiming the siblings have to pass a test from him. Violet and Klaus arm wrestle Olaf. While doing so, Sunny crawls underneath the table and unties Olaf"s left shoe. When Olaf tries to stand, he slips, and his shoe flies off his foot.

The crowd gasps, realizing the Baudelaires have been correct all along. Olaf quickly runs away, Klaus and Violet hurrying after him. He slips into the front seat of a car, pushing the pedal all the way to the floor. Violet and Klaus pause, giving up. As they catch their breaths, three voices shouting for them causes their eyes to widen.

"Klaus!" Ellis calls, struggling in one of the elderly twins hold.

"Ellis!" Klaus yells, a fearful expression resting on his face.

"Isadora! Duncan!" Violet yells as well. The two siblings share a look before running after their friends.

"VFD!" Duncan tells them repeatedly, hoping they'll remember. The two triplets and the blonde headed girl continue trying to break free. But as the car begins speeding up, they realize there's no use.

Ellis's eyes lock with Klaus's, tears streaming down her face. She places a hand on the back window, wishing she was standing besides Klaus instead of being driven away by Count Olaf. "Klaus!" She calls one last time. The twins cover her mouth with their hands, silencing her cries.

Klaus and Violet stop running, the car too fast for them to ever catch up to. "Ellis." Klaus whispers, lips forming into a frown.

"Isadora. Duncan." Violet breathes. As the car disappears, Sunny joins her older siblings. Together, the Baudelaires solemnly watch the car take their new friends away.