Chapter 11

After realizing the Quagmires were gone, the Baudelaires decided to go after them

After realizing the Quagmires were gone, the Baudelaires decided to go after them. Their guardian, Jerome Squalor, was too afraid to help them, so the siblings left his care. Mr. Poe informed us of a village called VFD that was willing to care for the four of us. The Baudelaires immediately agreed to go, and I know it's because of the name. They want so badly to figure out what VFD stands for.

~

I sit on the couch, trying my best not to make any noise. It's late, the Baudelaires and Mr. Poe's children already asleep. He figured it'd be best for myself and the siblings to stay here tonight before leaving for the village. The room was already cramped with the Baudelaires in it so I offered to sleep in the living room.

But I can't sleep. Every time I close my eyes, I relive all the pain and torture I was put through. The bruises may be slowly fading away, but the scars will always remain. On my body and in my heart. I will never forget what happened.

One of the stairs creak, and I pretend to be asleep, not wanting to get in trouble for still being awake. "Ellis? Are you awake?" A voice whispers. I peek my head out from under the blanket, smiling softly at Klaus. I sit up, making room for him to join me. "Why are you still awake?"

I shrug my shoulders. "Couldn't sleep."

Klaus stares at me, analyzing me. He picks up my hand, rubbing soft circles into it. "If you don't mind me asking, what happened? When you were with Olaf?" The memories flash before my eyes, each one more painful than the one before. "You don't have to tell me, if you're not comfortable."

He begins to rise, and I quickly latch onto his wrist. "Don't go." I whisper, my throat still sore. "Please, stay." He does, and I take a deep breath before speaking again. "Olaf, h-he... he abused me. He ch-choked m-me. Kicked and pu-punched me. Threw me down the stairs." I pause, willing myself not to cry. "He kept saying how he was going to kill me, how he was going to kill you. I wanted to die. I wanted the pain to be over, and I didn't care if me dying was the only way to make sure I never went through that again." I break out into tears, crumbling into Klaus' arms. I cling to his shirt, burying my face in his chest. His arms wrap around me tightly, pulling me closer to him. I can feel his own tears land on my head.

"Ellis... I'm sorry. I am so sorry." His voice cracks. "I never wanted anything to happen to you. Since my parent's death, most everyone we come in contact to gets hurt. I promised myself I wouldn't let that happen to you. I broke that promise, and I will forever be sorry."

I pull away, grabbing his face in my hands. "Klaus, what happened to me, it wasn't your fault. Olaf murdered my parents, it was only a matter of time before he found me." Klaus nods his head, and I brush away his tears. Without thinking, I lean closer, pressing my lips to his. The kiss is quick, only lasting a split second before I realize what I did and pull away. "Sorry." I apologize, cheeks burning red. Klaus ducks his head, connecting our lips for a real kiss. This one is also short, but filled with a passion I never knew existed. We pull away at the same time, both our faces cherry red.

"Ellis, I really like you."

"I'd be incredibly embarrassed if you didn't. I like you as well."