Slytherin Candy

My walk with Malfoy replayed relentlessly through my mind. Particularly the part where we'd almost kissed, at least that's what I think was happening.

     I know I'm attracted to the silver-eyed, smooth-talking blonde. But I decided I needed to talk with my ex-girlfriend to help sort through my feelings.

     I walked up to Ginny at the Gryffindor table. "Sorry to interrupt, but can I speak with you, alone?"

     "Sure, Harry." As graceful as a gazelle, she stood from the table. Wrapping her arm through mine, we exited Hogwarts in silence.

     We wandered down to the lake, enjoying the warm temperature of the evening autumn air. The surrounding trees burst in an assortment of reds, oranges, and yellows, making a vibrant background for a romantic stroll.

     I looked Ginny over thinking what a beautiful woman she'd become and knew that she'd make someone very happy when she married them. I already felt like it wasn't me and never had been, so this talk was imperative.

     "How are you doing, Ginny?"

     "Good. Classes are a breeze. I've been looking over our possible team dynamics and Gryffindor will squash everyone in quidditch." She smiled then looked me over. "Now that's out of the way. What's eating at you, Harry?"

     She knew me better than I knew myself at times. "Do you regret us not getting back together?"

     She smiled, but there was a sadness in her eyes. "You're wonderful. I'm just not ready to commit right now. I don't want to be tied down. Maybe we will be together in the future but—"

     I held my hand up to stop her. "I wasn't trying to make you feel like we should get back together. In fact, I'm trying to figure some things out."

     She studied me. "Are you interested in someone else?"

     I worried about hurting her feelings, but we'd promised to always tell each other the truth. "Yes, I think so."

     "I won't lie, I'm a little jealous."

     "Sorry." I sighed, feeling bad I was hurting her in any way.

     "Not to be rude or anything, but why are you coming to me with this?"

     "I thought that if I were to talk with someone, I'd cared for, it would help me see I was being ridiculous about it all." I shrugged. "I don't know."

     "Harry, look at me." I could see the love and compassion shining in her warm brown eyes. She wrapped her arms around me. "Do you like me doing this?"

     I nodded while enjoying the feel of her proximity and knowing I was safe with her.

     She kissed me. Slowly at first, then worked it into a fiery, passionate kiss, running her hands up and down my back.

     I begged myself to feel something as her tongue did it's best to kindle a fire in me. But I didn't, not even a spark of desire. I pulled out of the kiss, shaking my head in frustration.

     "Nothing?" she frowned.

     I shook my head again. "It's nice, but no."

     "Harry." She grabbed my head in her small hands and looked into my eyes. "Now imagine that I'm this person you think you like, then kiss me."

     "I don't think that will work, and besides, I wouldn't feel right about using you like that."

     "Harry Potter, you came to me for help, and I will always love you! That means I'll always help you when you're in need. Now look at me and picture her in your mind."