Chapter 24

<Courtney’s POV>

My patience with Cameron was really being tried. I had called his phone several times and it kept going straight to the answering machine every time. The thought that his phone was dead didn’t hold any sway; he had a damn charger that he can use. I could probably call one of the others but it was painfully clear that they wanted nothing to do with me and only tolerated me because I was part of the pack. I didn’t mind because the feeling was mutual. It wasn’t necessary for me to pretend to like them anymore.

Cameron was no doubt with that bitch Azura. Just thinking about her made me want to kill something. I have plans for her and will look on gladly as they began to unfold. With Azura basically being a sitting duck, so to speak, I had to get things rolling. Of course I had to wait for Cameron to go back to his territory, but that didn’t mean that I couldn’t knock over the domino. Actually, that was what I was currently doing.

Sandy had told me about this gang of wolves that would help me for the right price and gave me their information. I wasn’t all that surprised at the neighborhood I happened to find myself in. There was a corner store on one side of the street and an empty lot across from it. There were several abandoned houses with overgrown grass, boarded up windows with graffiti on them, and burglar bar doors. There were some “Ok” looking houses that looked decent enough to stay in but I would never live in one of them.

I slowed down and started creeping down the street in my car as I looked for the house. People started at me as I crept along but I ignored them. I stopped when I couldn’t find the house and looked at the paper I wrote the address on. I heard something hit my car and I snapped my head up to see what it was.  There were several men and women surrounding my car glaring at me I glared right back and growled.

One of the men motioned for me to roll door my window and I did so by a mere inch. “What?” I asked as I looked at the man. He was a brute for sure and blocked my entire window; tall and broad shouldered with ebony skin and a low cut. Surprisingly, he had crystal blue eyes. In her opinion he was “ok” looking and someone probably found him attractive. Her opinion didn’t change even when he opened his mouth to speak only to find he had a deep mellow voice.

“You look lost baby doll. What’s a girl like you doing in this here area?” He asked with a lifted brow and a lazy smile. I bit back a snarky remark and tried to be nice.

“I’m looking for someone named Anthony Cartecar , do you know of him?” I asked politely.

Someone had once told me that it was easier to catch a fly (or was it bee?) with sugar rather than vinegar. I don’t really get that metaphor because if any bug came my way I was more likely to kill it rather than try to catch it. Growling brought me out of my thoughts. I bared my teeth and my fangs automatically elongated and my eyes shifted. I growled right back. The man at my window looked at me suspiciously. “Why do you want to see him?” He asked.