Chapter 23

<Azura’s POV>

            I sat quietly in the car and listened to the conversations around me. Everyone had had a good time. Even though I was still pissed, I managed to have fun and enjoy myself. Thinking about my conversation with Cameron made me mad. How could he take up for Courtney? Better yet, how could he try and turn the tables on me? Of course he had a point, but that didn’t explain how she knew where I lived. That excuse about Derek telling her, just didn’t sit right with me. The whole thing was suspicious as hell and with a girl like Courtney that could only mean trouble. It was true that she had only met her once…

‘But, that one time was all that was needed to know that there is mutual dislike between us.’ Lani said in an emotionless voice. ‘And she has her sights on our mate.’ She and I both growled.

“Are you ok?” Cameron asked. I blinked and came out of my thoughts.

“Yea, I’m fine. I was thinking about the delivery of our things and how we most likely missed it.” I said. He eyed me then looked away. I turned my attention to the passing cars and buildings out the window and lest myself in my thoughts. I was sure to have my walls up so that Cameron couldn’t eavesdrop on them.

                                                                                ~*~ 

            Before I even knew it, we were pulling up to my house, our new home. Cameron opened the door for me and I got out the car. Something seemed off.  I tilted my head and sniffed the air. Nothing unusual jumped out at me, so I pushed it aside. Well actually there was the faintest hint of Courtney’s scent at the gate that caused me to growl low. I covered it up when Cameron looked at me and raised a brow.

“Hey guys!” Dakota called out as he came to greet them.

            We all greeted him with smiles and hellos. There was a shift in the air and I caught the scent of burning wood and cooking meat. I lifted a brow at him and interrupted his conversation with Eric. “D., you’re cooking?”

“Uh, yea.” He said hesitantly. I just looked at him, he was acting funny.

“Was our things delivered?” I asked.

“Oh yea.” He said with a laugh and a big smile. He reminded me of the Kool-Aid man.

“What’s going on?” Tiffany demanded eyeing Eric and Dakota suspiciously.

“I don’t know.” Eric said as he held his hands up in surrender.

            She turned to Dakota and he backed up holding up his hands in the same manner. She looked as if she were about to interrogate him, when suddenly her body language changed completely and the slightest of smiles touched her lips. Before I could say anything, Dakota grabbed my had and pulled me towards the house.

            I was taken by surprise and gave a little yelp. Cameron started forward and I growled at him in warning. I glared at him daring him to say or do something. He looked none too happy about it and his answering growl was proof. But I didn’t care. Of the four guys she hung with, I was closest to Dakota. He was like another brother to me and I was about to let anyone mess with him.

‘Maybe that’s how he felt about Courtney.’ A small voice said in my head and my eyes widened.

‘Don’t look at me. I wouldn’t say some shit like that.’ Lani growled. Dakota laughed.

WTF!?

            When I went to the door, Dakota had me to close my eyes before going inside. With a confused expression, I did as he asked. I heard a door open and Dakota ushered me inside. The scent of apple and cinnamon was strong in the air. Behind me I could hear everyone come in and I heard gasps and awed whispers. Excitement filled the air and I almost whined because I wanted to see what was going on. I heard Dakota chuckle as he continued to usher me through the house.