Soft Surface

I enter my house right after Connor who's taking off Sumo's collar. He hangs it up on a hanger and walks around the house looking for my dad.

"He probably fell asleep. Don't need to worry about him now." I feel my voice echo throughout the small house.

Connor turns to me, "That means I'll need to take care of you for a while."

"Ah geez.." I mumble as I roll my eyes.

I walk past him and stop next to the record player. I skim my fingers through the records and pull out my favorite one. I take the vinyl out of its case and place it on the player. I put the needle onto the disk as it spins and calming music begins to play.

I turn back around and walk towards the couch, feeling Connor's gaze on me. I flop onto the couch as I lay down to chill for a bit. I begin to close my eyes.

"Care to join my calming session?" I say jokingly. I don't want him to just stand there.

"Of course." He replies.

I hear his hard footsteps make their way to the living room and they abruptly stop.

Then I feel the end of the couch get heavy. I slightly open one eye and see Connor sitting on the edge of the couch looking at the tv that isn't even on.

"You okay?" I ask quietly.

He turns to me, "Of course. Does something seem wrong?"

"Nah. Just wondering," I fold my arms as I fully open my eyes to look at him.

"Where's that coin of yours?"

"Hank hasn't given it back to me yet. He took it from me a while ago." He says, fiddling with his fingers.

"See that drawer over there," I point to the right next to the tv. "There are a few coins in there. Knock yourself out."

I look at Connor as he gets up and walks to the drawer and opens it. I can hear a few coins rattle. He rummages his hand through the pile of coins, and picks one. He slowly closes the drawer and walks back to sit on the edge of the couch.

He begins to flip the coin in various ways. Having it fly in the air from time to time or it running from knuckle to knuckle.

Despite the fact that my dad hates when Connor does his coin tricks, I find it rather calming and enjoyable.

I close my eyes as I feel myself sink into the couch, adoring the sound of the silver coin hitting hard on a soft surface.

Soft surface..

I begin to feel as if I were tipsy from being too relaxed. I let it go and continue to embrace it.

How long can he play with that?