Just Stopping By

I lie in bed, staring at the ceiling in my dark room. I wonder if it's worth getting out of bed. Depression really caught up to me this time, didn't it?

As my vision suddenly starts to blur from being too tired, there's a sudden knock on my door. I flinch and groan quietly.

"Who is it?" I ask.

"Hey sweetheart! It's me. Are you okay?" It's my dad, Hank Anderson. He sounds a bit tired, but worried.

"I'm fine. You can come in if you want." I respond.

I jolt up as I hear my old door squeak open and see my dad on the other side holding the door knob. He's wearing his work clothing, which is basically what he wears everyday.

I rub my eyes as he turns on my bedroom lights.

"You look awful.." He says, walking over to my bed and sitting on the edge.

"Gee, thanks. I sorta just woke up." I say sarcastically. I smile a bit to let him know that I'm joking since I usually sound grumpy and serious.

"Well-"

The loud ass doorbell suddenly rings which startles my dad.

"Shit.." He mumbles under his breath. He starts to get up from my bed, making it squeak.

I quickly put on a shirt and a pair of leggings and follow him out of my room, quickly fixing my hair along the way.

He reaches to the door and looks through his peep hole.

"Ah it's just Connor," He sighs as he opens the door for him.

"Good morning, Lieutenant," Connor says, trying to smile at him. He then turns to me, looking like he didn't notice me at first.
"Oh, and Miss Anderson." He keeps his attempting smile.

I smile awkwardly.

"What did he just call me??" I think to myself.

Connor the fuck are you doing here? It's like 10:00 AM." My dad says nonchalantly.

"May I come in?" Connor asks. His eyes suddenly sparkle.

"Ah sure." My dad mumbles as he turns back and walks to the kitchen.

I step out of Connor's way as he walks in. I close the front door behind him.

"No but seriously, what are you doing here?" My dad asks again, sipping a cup of coffee he just made.

"I just thought it'd be fun to stop by and make sure you're safe." Connor blinks.

"What's fun about my safety?"

Sumo slowly walks into the kitchen, joining our conversation. I kneel down to pat him on the head and rub his floofy body a few times.

Connor flies his view on me, then to Sumo, and then to my dad.

Connor suddenly lights up again, "I know! I could take Sumo on a walk. That'll be fun, right?" He kneels down to pet Sumo as well.

My dad stares down at both of us who are on the floor admiring Sumo. He lets out a smile. "I guess it wouldn't hurt. Sumo hasn't been out in a while anyway."

"Could I go?" I ask as I look up to my dad.

"If you want. I won't mind!" Connor says, smiling again.

My dad sighs, "If he's fine with it, go ahead," He placed his coffee cup down into the sink. "But be careful."