DAY 21/A Five Year Coma

"It's quite irregular. She can still be 'programmed'. That seems to be the case. She's like any other agent. But, like the video...of well, you know, she seems to regain control right before she has an opportunity to...kill..." Deril continued while swiping his key card then pressing the code onto the keypad to unlock the plane looking door which lead to the holding facilities, "But I think they fixed that." He paused in the middle of the hallway, "I know you're going to be working with her. You placed a request. I don't advise it.  Anything that reminds her that you are...you, would probably trigger her...Personally, for an agent like you...and of your rank to take on this defective sleeper doesn't make sence to me...Did you orphaned her or something?"

Joe walked ahead of him unphased by Deril's concern. Deril smirked at his behaviour. "So, I made a report of my own. You are not fit to mentor her. We do have places for that. You remember them don't you?"  They had reached the outside of her holding room.  There was a very awkward vibe between the both of them. They both had different methods to dealing with her and Joe's was borderline rogue. Deril continued, "I recommend a psych evaluation, if you really plan on tiptoeing around the organization. But I prefer the end game more than anything."

Joe kept his patients with Deril.  There was nothing unordinary with what he was proposing after all. But this was no ordinary situation for Joe, at least not for him. Deril made a comment about this in his rant, "You are acting irrational. That's what got the both of you here. You're even dragging your superior's down with you." He became serious  for a moment, "That's why they covered it up. And pinned it all on Dorian." Deril wanted Joe to feel guilty over his friend's death, or rather see if he had any guilt for  it but, Joe was a hard person to read and bringing Dorian up just got him more mad, especially with Joe's unchanged face. "I have no grudge against you or her. He had it coming for being a Frank. But this is all... She's unstable. She doesn't deserve this opportunity..."

Joe was ready to unlock her cell door. But Deril caught him by his right elbow. Joe glared at him before calmly jerking away his arm. Deril defended, "Look, I know you got people to pull strings. But you chose this for her. I don't recommend you letting her tag along. Leave her alone. Get her a new identity or something and let her live out the rest of her life. Unless you're hoping she dies along side you on one of your missions."

"Okay Guardian Angel, let's talk right now." Joe responded, "I know who you are."

"Finally!" Deril cheers, "He speaks!"

"You could've let her die." Joe said a little offended at the way Deril tried to push the guilt on him, "You weren't trapped there like her. You manipulated her, messed with her head with your kind facade."

"And what are you doing?" Deril defended, "I was doing my job!"

"You could have done the right thing! But you were compliant.Were you afraid of...Dorian? " Joe pointed out, "This is what you do. But if you're mad at your friend dying!?Remember, you were there, and you stopped her when you became her target." Deril stood silent.
"So don't say anything about 'watching the video'. You could have stopped her and...he was my friend too...So, stop meddling. Just, follow your orders and tell me what I need to know." They both regained their composure after a full minute then Deril briefed the him on the girl's condition before they entered her room.

                                  *

"Good morning Samantha, How are we doing today?" Deril asked.

She replied, "Supine..."

He commented as he reached for the clipboard at the foot of her bed, "Funny..." He continued gesturing to Joe, "Do you recognize this man? He, identified you to be his employer." Joe briefly glared at him. He recognized that Deril didn't drop his agenda however, even though he was going off script it left Joe to improvise on the spot.