Chapter 19 - Saviour

Gemma and Harry drove back to Anne's in silence, neither knowing what really to say. Last time Harry cut, he was only a kid and Gemma had plently to remind him of how stupid he was being. But Harry was now practically an adult, touring the world. How on earth was she going to make someone like him see sense. Then a though occured when Gemma pulled into the driveway: Harry's still her baby brother and he needed her more than ever.

"Wait," Gemma said when Harry was about to get out the car. 

Harry looked at her confused as he sat back in his seat, slowly.

Gemma sighed, "Tell me why you did it again, Harry."

"It doesn't matter," Harry muttered, barely audible.

"Of course it matters," Gemma snapped, groaning in frustration when she realised she'd just had a go at her hurting younger brother. "I'm sorry, all right? I just ..." she trailed off, sniffling back her tears. "After last time, I didn't expect to go back to it. You were rushed to hospital at one point, H. I thought we were going to lose you."

"I - I didn't know you felt that way," Harry mumbled, looking down. 

"What," said Gemma, "caring for my brother who's slowly killing himself?"

"No - I ..." Harry was lost for words.

"I'm just scared," Gemma said instead. "If I lose you, I lose a part of myself. I wouldn't be able to cope with my baby brother underground while I'm grieving up here."

Harry's eyes began to water at the thought. "I'm - I'm sorry, Gem," he said, hugging her tightly, yet uncomfortable from their positions in Gemma car.

Gemma wiped the single tear away and tried smiling at Harry. "Can you do me one favour, H?"

"What's that?" Harry asked.

"Sleep in my room tonight," she requested, "and every night until you get better. I wanna be as close to you as possible."

"If it's because you think I'll go cut again, I won't," Harry assured her.

"I don't care if you think you won't," said Gemma. "I want to wake up and see that you're still here. I had nightmares after last time, Harry, and they'll come back again."

Harry sighed and nodded. "Let's go tell Mum I'm here, yeah, so she knows there's nothing to worry about."

Gemma forced a smile and nodded. "But I do love you, H, and I know I don't say it often enough."

Harry chuckled, stroking another tear of Gemma's away on her cheek with his thumb. "I love you too, Gem, you'll always be my best friend slash sister."

"Don't forget saviour," Gemma pointed out. "Fuck knows how many times I've saved your arse."

"And saviour."