Chapter 16 - The Truth

Liam couldn't believe what he was hearing. Louis had just told him that he in fact does remember who Harry is and he was pretending from the start. It left Liam confused; because he thought Louis loved Harry, and pissed; because it broke Harry's fragile heart.

Liam had no words for the lying boy in front of him. He wanted to kick him out, or remind him of how much damage he'd caused. But little did Liam know, he was protecting Harry.

"Liam, say something," Louis pleaded after they were standing in complete silence for a moment.

Liam just stared.

"Liam," Louis whined, approaching.

Liam took a step back. "You were pretending from the start?"

Louis froze and looked at him. "Yes," he muttered, sounding ashamed.

"Why?" asked Liam, arms crossed. "Why the fuck would you put Harry through this after everything he's already been through?"

"I was protecting Harry!" Louis yelled.

Liam laughed humourlessly. "Protecting him, yeah? How the fuck is breaking his heart into a million pieces protecting him in any way?"

"Modest," Louis sighed. 

"What about Modest?"

"If they think Haz and I aren't together anymore, they'd leave him alone," Louis explained. "If Harry thinks I don't remember him, he can move on date a beautiful girl and get the freedom he's been waiting for."

"He'd give up every little bit of freedom for you, Louis," Liam reminded him. "You're his world and you left him."

"I know," Louis groaned.

"We need to tell him."

"No!" Louis pulled Liam back by his wrist. "We can't."

Liam frowned. "Why?"

"Because it's too late," Louis mumbled. He sighed. "I've already asked Eleanor to marry me."

"You did what?"

"I know, I know," Louis sighed. "It's bad, I get it. But there's no turning back. Understood? I'm gonna go and marry Eleanor, Harry will forget we ever had a relationship. That way, he can live happily even if I don't. I just wished you'd let me die so I wouldn't be in this situation."

"You're fucking crazy," Liam snapped.

"Crazy enough to start a family with El?" Louis nodded. "El and I, we're gonna start trying for a baby, make us more official."

"What about Harry?"

"He'll be happy for me," said Louis. "I know he will."

"And what about the boys? Do we tell them?" questioned Liam.

"No," replied Louis. "You know what Niall's like at keeping secrets."

"True," Liam mumbled. "You sure you want to go through with this?"

"I'm positive."

"Once you say I do and Eleanor's up the duff, there's no turning back. You need to think this through, Lou."

"I have. I'm doing it, all right?"