Chapter 1 - Modest

"You ended your relationship with Taylor, didn't you, Harry?"

Harry had no words for the head of his management, Richard Griffiths. Instead, he turned his head to the left in hopes that his boyfriend would get him out of answering questions, like he often did. But Louis was strictly told not to speak unless spoken to, so he kept his mouth firmly shut. Though he did offer Harry a sad smile and a gentle squeeze of his hand. 

"Harry," Richard snapped. 

Harry quickly turned his head back round to look at Richard, fear written all over his face. He wanted to tell Modest that it wasn't a real relationship anyway so there should be no problems as to why he called it off. But he knew they'd have a smart-arse comment back.

"It wasn't working out," Harry muttered instead.

"Harry," Richard whined, leaning back in his chair. He took a minute before he made eye contact with the two boys across from him again. "You need to stop this bullshit, do you understand?"

"I know," Harry agreed. "I'm sorry, all right?"

"You can say you're sorry all you want," said Richard, "but it's me who has to find you a new girlfriend."

"Can't you lot just lay off him?" Louis spoke. "I've got Eleanor. Isn't that enough?"

"Unfortunately not," Richard replied. "I'm sure the number of fans will drop if you both have girlfriends. But with Harry always ending it so soon, the ratings are getting higher."

"He's not a fucking actor," Louis snapped. "He doesn't know how to pretend to love someone he doesn't. You try it and you'll find that it's easier said than done."

"Drop your tone," Richard warned.

"I'll drop my tone when you let me tell the world who I really love," Louis challenged.

"No can do," said Richard, smug smile dancing on his lips. "You're under contract here, Louis, and as far as that contract goes, you'll date who I say and tell your fans what I tell you to."

"Arsehole," Louis muttered, leaning back in his chair, knowing he'd lost.

"What was that?" Richard asked.

Louis smirked. "Oh, nothing, Mr bossman."

"Thought so," muttered Richard. He turned to Harry and asked, "Is there anyone you have in mind?"

"In mind for what?" Harry asked.

"You're a bit slow today, aren't you, Harry?" Richard laughed, shaking his head. "I'm talking about your next girlfriend," he told him clearly. "What did you think I called this meeting for?"

"Oh," Harry replied dumbly. "Um ... I dunno."

Richard crossed his arms. "I thought you said he wasn't a good actor, Louis. But he's sure good at playing dumb."

"Stop speaking to him like that," Louis warned.

Richard looked at Louis. "Like what?"

"Like he's shit off your fucking shoe, for fuck's sake," Louis growled. 

Richard just grinned at Louis' attitude and turned back to Harry. "I'll let you go for now, Harry. But believe me, you'll have another girl on your arm before you know it and this one won't last a few months."

"You complete and utter arse," Louis snapped, standing to his feet. He looked down at Harry. "You coming, babe?"

Harry nodded, allowing Louis to pull him to his feet.

"I'll be in touch!" Richard called smugly.

Louis and Harry ignored him, walking out the office, making sure to slam the door harder than necessary in the passing.  They walked through the building hand in hand.

But forced themselves to let go as soon as they were out the entrence doors.