24 | Xantar

E L L I E

"You know I will never get over you reading a book. After this, you're definitely reading one of mine and I'm not taking no for an answer."

"No," I clipped as I slammed the book shut. I tucked it under my arm and motioned down the hallway, "I'm going to class now." Before I could take a step away from her, Lizzie wrapped her hand around my arm and tugged me at her side. "You came to school extra early, you weren't replying to my texts last night and you're reading. What's going on?"

Gosh, darn it.

I hate that she knows me so well.

"Nothing."

"Liar!"

After confessing my feelings to Xavier last night, I did something beyond embarrassing. I fooled myself into thinking that I was brave enough to be able to withstand his response. However; Before he could even say a word, I did the unexpected.

I turned around and then. . .

I ran into my house without looking back.

I ran.

I ran before he could say anything. I confessed to him and then I ran like the coward that I am. And now I have to face him during class! He knows I have feelings towards him and there's absolutely nothing I can do about that fact. "You did WHAT!?" Lizzie squealed after I confessed what happened.

She braced her hands on my shoulders and began to shake me violently, "are you mental! You ran!?"

I pressed my head to her chest and wailed, "I did! I'm so dumb. Why did I even confess to him? Am I crazy? I knew that I wasn't brave enough but I completely embarrassed myself anyways." Lizzie encircled her arms around my back and hugged me to her chest tightly.

"It's okay. If he doesn't bring it up then just act like it never happened. Don't embarrass yourself further." There's no way I possibly can! If he doesn't say anything then acting like I said nothing really is for the best.

But if he doesn't like me. . .

"What if he doesn't say anything for real? Does that mean he doesn't like me?" This is what I get for being a hopeless romantic. "If he doesn't then it's his loss. Now go to class and face your demons!" She shoved me down the hallway towards my class and waved goodbye before shouting good luck.

Hesitantly, I trekked towards my first period. Praying that Xavier wasn't serious when he said he'd return to school. However; To my utter dismay, he was sitting at his desk, his head buried in a novel.

I swallowed hard and sauntered down the row towards my table. Once I sat down, I could hear Xavier shuffling behind me until a hand lightly tapped my shoulder. I pursed my lips tightly and tilted my head to face him. "Hi!" He chirped, his dimple immediately melting my heart.

"H-hey, Xavier." This moment was extremely conflicting. A part of me wanted him to bring it up because then that would mean he's acknowledging my feelings.

However, the other part of me is praying he doesn't recall last night's events because then I'd be embarrassed further. But then that would mean I'd have to act like it never happened and he in fact does not like me back.

What the hell did I get myself into?!

"What chapter are you on?" He asked as he motioned to the novel tucked under my arm. So he's taking that route then? Well, maybe he's doing it to save me from embarrassment. I won't know unless he says anything.

"Uh, chapter three. I haven't gotten that far but don't worry, I'm prioritizing it!"

He smiled, "chapter three huh? So you're on the chapter where Juno confesses her feelings to Yafeu." As he said those words, his eyes almost sparkled. Is that possible? For eyes to sparkle, I mean. Or maybe that's just my imagination playing tricks on me!