06 | Felis

E L L I E

I've always wanted a star named after me. I didn't want to have to be the one to do it, but it would be nice if it were a romantic gesture of some sort from the guy I loved. Oh, to dream big dreams: it's all I've been doing lately.

I tore my gaze away from the sky that was blanketed in darkness, stars being the only source of light from my point of view since the moon was nowhere in sight. A gust of stiff wind tiptoed on my skin, purposely riling up the goosebumps that laid dormant against my flesh.

I wrapped my arms around myself, hoping that it would generate enough heat to keep me sustained until I figured out my next course of action. "Here," a gruff voice exclaimed behind me, followed by a water bottle that came into my line of vision. Xavier stood beside me, his eyes piercing through mine. A worrisome look was clear on his face.

I took it from his grasp, even though I didn't need it. I wasn't drunk, but I wasn't in the best state of mind, either. What happened back there wasn't how I planned for things to go down between Dave and I. When Xavier introduced himself in the bluntest way possible, realization seemed to flicker across his face.

"So you really do have a boyfriend?" That is what he asked, or more like confirmed before leaving. Ironically, I was the one desperate to flee from him before Xavier's appearance, but when he decided to go, I wanted nothing more than for him to stay to let me explain.

I wasn't obligated to give an explanation, but the thought of him being hurt didn't sit well with me. I didn't want him to get hurt and because of Alec and his ridiculous mouth, Dave thinks Xavier is really my boyfriend. This is exactly why I didn't want to go to this party. "Are you okay?" Xavier asked, his eyes no longer meeting mine.

I nodded, "yeah."

"Who was that guy?" He didn't sound convinced, I mean how could he? I wasn't fine, I can't even fool myself who says I can fool him? "Dave, he's Alec's best friend and also the guy I shamelessly crushed on for the entirety of my teen life." Xavier's eyes met mine again, but this time it held a certain darkness to it as if he was angry.

His gaze was heavy, almost crushing to the point that I had to break eye contact, "why was he holding you like that?" So that's why he's angry? Does he think Dave was hurting me? "He wasn't hurting me, Xavier. We were just talking, don't get the wrong idea," I reassured him.

By the unimpressed look on his face, he didn't seem to care. "You told him to let go, he didn't. Whether his intentions were to hurt you or not, he still held you against your will even if it was innocently. Innocence can turn extremely dark very rapidly, Ellie. The quicker you learn that the more careful you'd be."

I didn't know how to respond to that because he's right. We've only known one another for a full day and he's already spewing motivational speeches to me and confronting my once, hope-to-never-be-again crush. "I just wanna get out of here," I sighed in hopes that it would divert the conversation.

I no longer wanted to speak about this.

"I'll take you home then."

"I don't want to go home. But I don't want to stay here either." Xavier peered down at me, his thick brows arched upwards in confusion. Then his expression contorted to one of realization. He retrieved something from his pocket and began to saunter down the lawn, away from me, "come on, I know a place we can go to kill time before you decide to go home."

I followed behind him like a lost puppy, wondering if it was a wise idea to leave my brother and Lizzie behind. Alec never gets drunk at parties because he's always our designated driver and as he put it not so lightly 'I need to take care of your dumbass' Yes, he needs to take care of my dumbass.