23 | Wallia

E L L I E

"I think you would have liked Eric if you guys had ever met," Xavier mumbled as he gazed straight ahead. I leaned back on the bench, still cradling the hand he held and kissed a mere thirty minutes ago. Call me a hopeless romantic, but my heart still isn't able to comprehend the moment we had.

But right now I'm just glad he's seemed to grab a hold of his emotions. I desperately want to ask him why he smokes and exactly what mental health issue did he endure or is he still battling that prompted Eric into helping him this much. But again, I will not cross any boundaries, especially after the story he just told me.

I'd just appear as an insensitive person who's trying to milk information out of him. "By the way you described him, I'm sure we would have been good friends," I responded. Xavier smiled, one that actually touched his eyes as he did so, which gave me a splendid view of the dimple indented in his cheeks.

"Ellie, can you promise me something?" He asked as his voice dipped an octave lower. There was no longer a smile on his face as he turned his attention towards me. "W-what is it?" The intensity in his gaze was once again enough to shatter the walls of my heart but I kept my composure despite wanting to crumble on the inside.

"Can you promise me that whatever you do and whoever you do it with, you'll always guard your heart? I'm not saying to never trust anyone but what I'm saying is don't give people the opportunity to hurt you. . .not even me."

Is he really scared that I end up in a situation like Eric? "Okay," I nodded my head slowly. He didn't seem convinced by my answer and that was proven when he fully turned towards me, grabbed my hands and held it in his firm and warm grip.

"Promise me, Ellie."

You've been through a lot, Xavier.

And maybe I'll never know the extent of the pain you've endured but I can see it in your eyes: you're scared of losing another friend to a horrible situation. He's already lost a handful and god knows what will happen in the future. If my reassurance will ease his mind then I'll do it.

And I'll keep that promise too.

"I promise, Xavier. I promise to guard my heart, no matter what." His mouth quirked up into a warm smile. "Thank you."

~ ~ ~

"Are you sure you don't need to get home soon? I mean tomorrow is a school day." Xavier asked as he assisted me down from the motorcycle. My mom already gave me the go-ahead an hour and a half ago which has still left me almost speechless considering how strict she is.

"Yeah, I'm good for another hour or so," I reassured him as I pulled the helmet over and off my head. Seeing as neither of us has had dinner yet and we've been sitting on a rooftop engulfed in the chilly weather for the past hour, we decided to head to the pancake house.

Xavier took the lead in front of me whilst I followed close behind. I didn't expect tonight to be as intense as it was but what can I say? Life is filled with unforeseen circumstances that either make us or break us. Beneath that dimpled smile is someone who is struggling more than they're letting on.

But who am I to pry when I'm hiding the biggest secret of all from my friends?

Once we made it inside, Xavier led me towards the table we sat at weeks ago. Unlike then, tonight had a fair amount of people. I picked up the menu and skimmed through it quickly and somewhat nervously. The diet plan that I'm on has cut down my sugar level intake to mostly only fruits and little trans fat.