36- Confrontations and Explanations

Kendall

When I step out of Destiny's truck in the student parking lot of Lincoln Central the next day, I can already feel the stares coming from my fellow students. I can hear the murmured questions that they ask each other when their eyes connect with my body. Where was she? Was she sick? What happened? Are her and Josh actually over? Did he really cheat on her?

I don't bother answering them, acting as if I don't even hear them at all. But I do hear them and I can answer all of their questions. Where was I? I was at home, in my bedroom, only leaving to get food from the kitchen just down the single hallway. Was I sick? Not medically sick, unless heartbroken is a sickness these days, but more mentally and emotionally sick. What happened? I couldn't take it anymore and I needed a break. I couldn't stand the thought of going to school and having to see everyone after the blow up in the hallway on Monday. I didn't think I'd be able to go to a lacrosse practice without bursting into tears. It was that field that started it all with Josh. It was those bleachers that ended it all. It was that pointless storage room that I was attacked in. I didn't want to see any of it and I didn't want to hear about any of it. Are Josh and I actually over? Yes. I can't forgive him right now. I may never be able to forgive him. Did he really cheat on me? Unless I've gone crazy and have started seeing things, yes, he did.

"These people are so nosy and rude," Destiny says as we enter the school building.

I nod my head in agreement, not wanting to talk yet. I haven't all morning and I can tell it's upsetting my best friend. She's worried about me and I know I'm not being fair to her by reassuring her that I'm ready to come back to school, but I just can't do it. I keep opening my mouth for words to come out, but nothing ever escapes my lips.

A sudden loud crash echoes through the hall from behind the two of us and I turn around to see what it is. The noise itself is unmistakeable and can be heard surprisingly often. It's the sound of somebody getting slammed in to the metal lockers lining the walls. The only mystery that comes from hearing it is who the slammed is and who the slammer is.

"What the hell Josh?" Todd asks. His back is up against the metal doors and Josh is holding him there, pressing his hands in to Todd's shoulders to ensure he doesn't squirm his way out of his grip.

"Did you seriously think I wasn't going to find out?" Josh hisses.

"I don't know what you're talking about!"

"You know exactly what I'm talking about so don't even try to act all innocent you douche!"

"Did he tell you or did you figure it out?" Todd asks. His voice lowers down to a volume that is merely above a whisper. He looks down at the linoleum floor and then over to his right. I see Jessica standing them, her petite body trembling at the sight before her.

"He told me about my mom and about the boy and girl from school that were in on it. Gave me a few hints and then it was clear as freaking day exactly who he was talking about."

Todd raises his eyes back up to Josh's before he speaks again. "I swear, we didn't know that what happened on Saturday was going to happen. We never would have agreed to helping him with his plan if we had known. I knew he was crazy, but not like that. I didn't know he was going to take it that far."

The small crowd that has formed around the three of them exchange confused glances with each other. They have no clue what is going on or what happened on Saturday, but I do. If what I'm thinking is right, Todd and Jessica were in on it. And Josh's mom? I guess it makes sense, but why? What could have possibly been worth this?

"We were just supposed to scare you guys," Jessica says. "We were going to break you two up so that you'd play tougher but then Todd and I planned how we were going to get you back together again."