Chapter Thirty-Six

We were all allowed to leave after a week. Although Gwen is in even more trouble, because Umbridge said she thinks my sister told Voldemort to kidnap me.

           Sometimes I just want to beat that old cow into the ground. I really wish Dumbledore would come back and get her arse out of his chair.

          Today was a Saturday, and it was also a Quidditch day. The match was Gryffindor against Ravenclaw. Quidditch wasn't the same without Gwen as captain. Katie Bell was substituting, and according to her, the team was not ready.

          And that clearly showed in their playing. Ron was letting all kinds of goals in. Emily kept missing her targets, and Ginny just couldn't find the snitch. To put it simply, the team was a mess.

          After about 30 minutes into the match, Ravenclaw was up 130-0. If they scored two more goals, it wouldn't matter if we caught the snitch. We would have to score goals in order to win.

          A short while later, Jordon Lee was removed from the commentator's box. McGonagall finally lived up to the threat she had been telling for at least five years.

          But things starting turing around for us. Katie eventually scored a few goals, a Ginny began to start distracting Cho, faking dives for the snitch. With a couple players doing well, it seemed to bring confidence back to the whole team.

           Ginny eventually caught the snitch, and Gryffindor won 200-130. A few Ravenclaws tried calling a botched match, but glares from the Gryffindor side quickly shut them up.

          With the match over, we were free to roam around Hogsmeade until sundown. It was a very nice spring day. It was fairly warm, and it was nice that there wasn't any snow on the ground in April.

          I knew George was going to Azkaban again today, so I ran to catch up with him.

           "George!" I yelled, running up behind him. "George, wait up!"

          He whipped around, clearly paranoid. "Yeah?" he asked, sighing with relief.

          "Can you give this to Gwen, when you see her?" I asked.

           "Yeah, sure."

           I chewed on my lip for a moment, debating how to say my next words. "What's gotten you so paranoid George?"

          "Umbridge called me after class the other day," he said. "She doesn't like me going to the prison. She tried to stop me. I think she might come after me too, if I visit her any longer."

          "That won't happen George," I said. "But if it does, the Heads of Houses will be more than willing to hide you again. All they want to do is keep us safe."

          "I hope you're right Mione. I have to go if I want to get to Azkaban."

          "Thanks George." I walked off towards Honeyduke's. I couldn't enjoy myself because of what George said.

          At this rate, she will come after us all.

-----------------------------------------------------------
          I sat at the table, looking down at my unicorn necklace. The good thing about being moved was there were more dementors where I was. So I could transform more often. But I was still going crazy, I could feel it.

          I swear, they have mirrors in the cells just to taunt you. Every time I look in that mirror, I see less and less of me. I look almost insane now. I can't write well anymore, my hands shake so bad. I tried writing a note to Ginny, but I couldn't read it once I was done.

           I saw George walking through the door. He looked broken at the sight of me. I would too if he was in here.

          He sat down across from me, taking my hands in his. He stroked them, and I tried to make them stop shaking.

          "I can't write anymore," I said. "My hands shake so bad it all looks like a two year old did it."

          He said nothing. Couldn't, I guess. I was really tired, and it showed. I can't sleep anymore. People haunt my dreams now. People's lives I have probably ruined. George being the most recurring one.

          "I don't want you visiting me anymore George," I said. He looked really sad. "If I really do go insane in here, I don't want you to see that. I can barely let you see me now. I just don't want you to get hurt."

          "Gwen, It hurts me everyday you are in here." He wasn't angry, surprisingly. He sounded genuinely upset. "It hurts me just knowing what could happen to you. I can't help but feel I failed you. I know it's my fault you're in here. I lead Umbridge straight to you."

           "George, stop talking like that, please. I can't stand it. I don't want you thinking it's your fault, because the only person who should be feeling guilt is the cow who stole Dumbledore's chair."

           "Everyone wrote you a letter. Fred, Harry, Ron, and the girls. They just want you to have something from each of them."

          "Thank you George. Could you give this to Ginny? I know she won't be able to read it, but I feel bad keeping this. I can't hide what's happening any longer. If they don't find out through me, your mother will surely tell them."

          "Yes, I'll give it to her." George paused, staring at my hands. They were shaking even more now. I couldn't keep them still.

          I pulled them under the table. You could still hear my cuffs rattling. "Please don't come back. I can't afford anyone seeing me like this. Once I get out, you can see me all you want. Just don't come back anymore George."

          George nodded his head. When he looked up, there were tears in his eyes. "Okay. I'll keep sending you letters. I'll send you one every day if that's what it takes. But if you don't want me to, I won't come back."

          I stood up to go before the guards came bursting in here. But George grabbed my arm and pulled me into a kiss. I eventually kissed him back, realizing this might be the last time our lips ever touch.

          He broke apart, instead wrapping his arms around me and resting his head on my shoulder. I did the same, resting my head on his. We stood there for a few moments, the world disappearing around us.

          All too quickly, I had to leave. The guards pulled me away. We were both crying, desperately hoping for my fate to be changed. But it may never be. And that is what scared me.

         I was dragged back to my cell. It now had an iron door and concrete walls. As I sat in the darkness, I couldn't stop thinking about the tears running down his face. But soon, my thoughts would be diminished to nothing. I would be able to think, tell reality from fiction, or function all together.

         I was going to go insane.