Chapter Twenty-Two

Crabbe and Goyle moved ahead of Malfoy, as if they were building a human wall around the blonde haired bastard.

          "What do you want Malfoy?" I asked.

          "That's not you should speak to a member of the Inquisitorial Squad," Malfoy said with a smirk. "I'm here because of Professor Umbridge. She needed me to escort you to her office."

           "Did your goons really need to come?"

          "Twenty points from Gryffindor for insulting members of authority!" Malfoy yelled. "Do it again and I will make it forty!"

          "Ok, fine. Let's just go."

          Malfoy walked in front of me, and Crabbe and Goyle flanked my left and right. They had me trapped.

          Once we reached Umbridge's office, Malfoy lead me in and Crabbe and Goyle forced me in.

          "Thank you gentlemen," I heard Umbridge say in her fake voice. "Thirty points to Slytherin. You may be on your way."

          Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle walked out of the room. Which left me with Umbridge. Alone.

          "Gwenyth dear," Umbridge said. Her voice made me want to beat her six feet under myself. "How nice to see you again."

           "It's nice to see you too Professor," I said behind clenched teeth.

          "Now, you are very lucky to have Dumbledore on your side. Otherwise, you may as well be heading straight to Azkaban right now. But I know you cast the curse, and such a crime should not go unpunished."

          I automatically knew what she was going to do. "Professor, you could get arrested for casting an Unforgivable Curse!"

          "Nice try Gwenyth. No one will find out."

           "Somebody will! I will ma-"

          "IMPERIO!"

          I didn't even feel the curse hit. I felt a wave of numbness fall over my body. My brain told me to run, but my limbs wouldn't move. Eventually, my brain stopped trying to command my legs to move. I couldn't feel anything, I couldn't think anything, and I couldn't move.

          I felt my head being pulled to look at Umbridge. My legs moved without me telling them to. I stopped right in front of Umbridge, an evil smile frozen on her face.

          "Perfect," she said. "You are even weaker than I thought."

          I wasn't angry. I couldn't be angry. My brain had completely shut off, leaving me a mind-numb slave of Umbridge's.

          "This will be very fun," she said. "With you under the curse, you cannot cast the curse on your sister or Professor McGonagall. I will ask them what really happened that night. Now, go about as you were. And get that blank stare off your face."

         Next thing I knew, my legs were following Umbridge's command. As they walked, my facial expression began to change.

         I walked back down to the Great Hall, joining the night owl crowd. I walked on, terrified. My legs were carrying me places I couldn't control. My face was making expressions it wasn't deciding on. Soon enough, Umbridge will probably make me say something I regret.

         All day I was trying to fight the curse. But it did no good. I was walking around at Umbridge's command, speaking her words through my mouth. I received strange looks from everybody today. I hope I had a blank stare on my face. I hope somebody suspected this and put a stop to it.

         By lunch, I had my brain back. I was able to think for myself again. But it was even more torture than before. My brain was screaming commands, but the spell stopped my body from getting the commands. It was more frustrating than anything. If this kept up much longer, I might actually go insane.

         She-Devil must have gotten a copy of my schedule, because she got me to every class on time, and she somehow always knew what I was supposed to be doing. I'm pretty sure the Imperius Curse doesn't connect the curser to the cursee.

          Once She-Devil got me to DADA, I was terrified. Umbridge would probably use this curse against me. I didn't even want to know what she was going to pull today.

         My legs carried me to my desk, Hermione sitting down next to me. She glanced over, a concerned look written across her face.

         "What's wrong Gwen? You've been acting strange all day."

         Umbridge must have noticed the situation, because I saw her wand, which was hidden up her sleeve, point in my direction.

         "Nothing," I said, as if I was really coming up with the words. "I'm fine."

         "Are you sure?"

         "Yes!" I said, my voice growing harsh. Hermione looked hurt and concerned. I saw Umbridge grin wildly.

          Umbridge started her lesson with the usual rant. "Today you will be reading chapter seven in your books. Wands away, there will be no need to talk."

         It had come to a point where nobody moved to put away their wands. I read the pages as best as I could, as Umbridge was forcing me to flip the page when I wasn't finished.

         Suddenly, my other hand was moving up from where it rested on my leg. It moved towards the page in my book. It grabbed the corner.

         Then I heard a large rip ripple through the silence. I saw the book page in my hand. But she wasn't done yet.

         I balled the page up in my hand. Umbridge had looked up and put an infuriated look on her face, but I couldn't mistake the smile that hid under the look of anger. My right arm went back, and in an instant, the paper ball was flying through the air.

          It hit Umbridge square in the nose. A loose corner gave her a small paper cut. She shrieked in frustration, jumping up from her spot behind the desk.

         "Gwenyth Potter!" she shrieked. Half the class shrunk back into their seats. The other half, the Slytherins, burst into laughter. Hermione, Harry, and Ron looked over at me, horrified by what I'd done.

          What Umbridge had done.

         The bastard of a woman began to yell in my face, her voice growing higher than ever.

         "I have never seen so much disrespect from a student! You should be more than ashamed of yourself! Potter, with me! Now! Not you Mr. Potter! I just need to deal with Miss Potter at the moment! Excuse me class!"

         Umbridge walked me down the hall. She stormed all the way to Dumbledore's office, blowing right past McGonagall's.

         That's when it came to me. Umbridge was going to Dumbledore because he was the only one who had authority over her. After Educational Decree Number Twenty-Five, he was the only person who could tell her no.

         But that doesn't mean he wouldn't listen to her. He may very well believe her, because of my dad and my brother's temper. I started to get worried as we neared the twin gargoyles.

         "Acid Pops!" Umbridge shouted.

         I watched as the twin gargoyles sprang to life, moving aside to reveal a staircase. The staircase that very well may lead to my doom.