Pearls of Peace

The drive was awfully long. It was extremely painful. My positions consisted as, chin leaned on hand, head against window and head back against the seat. Axel payed no attention to me for hours. He quietly flicked through a deck of cards for at least an hour. It confused me because how could he find something so repetitive and simple so amusing. 

I couldn't be bored, I was too frightened. Being a girl was definitely fun, but not in this particular situation. I felt vulnerable and unsafe. They could attack me at any given moment and my protection skills would consist of a few punches and scratches and after that they would surely have me pinned down or how they wanted me.

I thought all the worst possible outcomes through in my head so the true outcome wouldn't seem so bad, unless it was one of the worst i'd imagined. Torture, slow death, rape. It all occupied my mind and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I was so scared to let my mind inevitably fixate back on the subject of my awaited fate. I was in need of a book to occupy my hunger, physical and emotional. I was hungry for toast and jam, and also the answers to my hundreds of questions. Where am I going? Who are you? What will happen to me? And the one question which sat in my mind was who is the Alpha?

Red head was busy giving directions to the other driver. I hadn't quite thought of a name for the other strange guy yet. He did have one distinctive feature about him although. A scar. From the bottom of his lip to the end of his chin and I assumed it kept going under his jaw because it came out all along his neck and finished on his collarbone. It must have been done on purpose. It was carved deep. It was old I guessed, slightly faded. His hair was jet black and his frame was very tall and slim built but very strong. He had muscle not as much as Red and Axel though. 

I finally got the courage to open my mouth and speak. However, all I managed to say was 
"Axel...what is his name" I pointed at the scar-faced driver in front of me with a shaky finger. I didn't know if I would be punished for speaking. 

Axel looked at him and then to me. "Hunter" he answered abruptly. He seemed shocked that I spoke. I hope I came across calm to him. I wanted them to respect me. Cry babies only get locked away in the crib and teased at. 

Hunter, I thought. What a name for such a character as himself. His name suited him. His scar made me fear him. He must be dangerous. Red was scary and intimidated me, but he was not dangerous. Red was more boyish, or so I say childish. Hunter didn't talk much. He only looked in the drivers mirror at me and we made eye contact for a brief moment. It was awkward, I could tell that Hunter had no interest at interacting with me. I felt Red staring daggers into me as I looked at Hunter in the mirror.

"The Hunter gets the axe, the irony of it, aye Hunter" Red sneered as he elbowed Hunter.

"Knock it off" Axel kicked the back of Red's carseat. Red didn't even react. His mannerism showed he wasn't going to 'knock it off'.

Red had the courage to annoy people and harass them. He even didn't seem to fear Hunter although I and the whole football team at school would have. Red spoke again. "Want to tell princess here how you ended up with that disgusting mutilation Hunt?" 

Hunter looked back at me in his mirror. His eyes were sharp. I dared not speak. I had learnt that these three, Red in particular had bad tempers I wouldn't mess with. 

Hunter spoke, his voice raspy and deep. "The Alpha. Watch your back Avery, he may love you, but he will always love himself more" 

Those words struck me. I did feel some sort of relief hearing 'he may love you'. I figured it meant I would stay alive because the so called 'Alpha' wanted to love me. I didn't speak back. I didn't even know what to say to that.