Alpha Jaxton

"Mate"

His deep voice tickled in my ear and shivers ran across my body. I wasn't sure if the shivers were from his whispered voice or the word, 'mate'. He took his knife and fork and continued to eat his steak while I sat there quietly in shock and awe of him. I wanted to reply, but for some reason every inch of confidence in me had been diminished. I fiddled with my fork and took a bite of potato. The food tasted amazing, but I was too distracted by the Alpha to enjoy a three course buffet.

I could see out of the corner of my eye the Alpha watching me. I felt quite uncomfortable hoping I looked presentable. I also felt quite uncomfortable at the fact he was literally watching my every move. Hallie nudged my arm to encourage me to speak to him.

"Hi, I'm Avery" I stuck out my hand to shake his. Damn that might have just been the most awkward move I could have made. The Alpha seemed to be quite entertained at the expense of my embarrassment. 

"Hi, yes I am afraid I already know your name. However, I haven't quite had the honour to have met you yet. Wow, your hands are so soft" He tickled my palms and held my hands inside his. His hands are much bigger than mine. I take a quick glance to see if anyone is watching our awkward interaction. Nobody seems to take notice thankfully. 

"Oh why thank you. Nobody has ever told me such an obscure compliment like that before. Hallie did lend me her top quality luxury lotion" I laughed and smiled at Hallie sitting next to me. 

Hallie turns to face me and the Alpha "No worries, smooth hands, smooth legs. Life is better when you use lotion" Hallie sometimes said very strange things, but very confidently. 

"I can't believe nobody has told me your name yet. Crazy, right?" I sarcastically said smirking at the Alpha. He didn't seem amused. Prick.

"You can call me Jaxton. It's Alpha Jaxton to everyone else though. Between me and you, we're equals but everyone else has to earn there place to live here and they have to prove themselves to keep it" Jaxton was stern and serious about his remark. I wondered, how did Hallie end up here, at the top. Sitting with Jaxton, me and owning a room on the top floor?

Jaxton stood up and tapped his knife on his wine glass to draw the attention of those seated around us. Everyone was immediately quiet and looked towards him with respect.

"As you all already know, we are joined tonight for this special dinner and introduction to the pack by Avery Parker. We have had an eye on her for a very long time, her social and physical skills which have been reported to us shows how she will be fit to become a great pack leader. I hope she will take up our offer and become the future Luna of our pack. I can confidently say that she can become a great leader alongside me. It has been a while that I have run the pack alone, and I need a wife to accompany me and build up our pack and make us even stronger" 

This was all becoming clearer and suddenly reality caught up with me. They were basically stalking me for years. Had they somehow gotten access to my private and social life? He is proposing that I could become a Luna, a werewolf. I could never imagine leaving my life behind and my friends and family to enter a world so dangerous and complex. At the same time as my hesitant thoughts, I felt flattered so many people thought I was a good enough leader for all of them to depend upon. It gave me a sense of pressure, but also reassured me of who I am. I know that I am capable of being strong and leading a dance class, lets hope thats something like leading a pack. Most likely not.

The idea of becoming Luna was more of a thrilling experience than a duty to me. I knew it would become my identity and I would no longer just be Avery Parker. My life would depend upon the protection of thirty pack members and a 'loving' Alpha.