Paradise

The morning sunlight awakes me as I realise I must have gone to sleep without closing my curtains. I stretch my arms and yawn and look for my phone. I check under my bed and roll my eyes when I have to look around my room for it. I step out of bed and the cold floorboards are a shock to my toes. Polar opposite compared to my warm covers.

I find my phone and see three new messages. I open the one from Penelope 

Hey Avery, I was wondering if we could go shopping for my wedding jewellery. Your invited of course! I need a friend with an amazing sense of style so I hope you can make it. Plus, heard you got the job...so excited for you. Guess I'll see you more often around the studio. xx Elle

I smile as I read her genuine text. Elle has always been the type of friend who is so genuine in everything she does or says. She was never fake to me and she hated to gossip. This was refreshing in comparison to the other girls in my group who loved to talk down other girls and guys around the school. 

Elle and me were not the most popular girls. If I can categorise popularity, we were smack bang two inches above the middle and three inches from the top of the silly high school hierarchy. Being bitchy was the school badge and every girl except Elle possessed a quality of it. Even me. 

Elle, so good to hear from you. Sorry I haven't yet returned your call. I would love to come today. Keen. Could we meet at the studio and catch the bus together? x

I arrive outside the studio and admire the home of my new job. Today is Saturday and the senior dances are preparing for their competition. I see Elle. She looks incredible. I had never noticed how pretty she was. In high school she didn't seem to care so much about her appearance and she prided herself upon that. However, now she beamed with a radiance of beauty. Her wavy dark hair swung around her shoulders and grazed her leather jacket. 

She was slim and fit. People used to say I was the brunette to her brunette. It didn't matter than it didn't make sense because we were both had brown hair, it mattered because everyone knew how similar we were. It had taken me this long to realise.  

"Hey girl! So I was thinking we head to the jewellery store next to the juice bar. Then we could grab a juice after maybe?" 

"Perfect" I smile. 

Three hours have passed, four shops later and we haven't found a single piece of jewellery, no necklace, no tiara and no juice. Elle wants to keep shopping and I don't complain how drained of energy I am. It is her day and I promised I would be here. 

"Should we grab a juice so we can think better. Food fuels a clearer mind" I say pointing towards the door. 

I look to where I am pointing and don't realise It looks as though I am pointing directly at an incredibly hunk of a guy standing right in my line of view. My face turns bright red as he sees me and my hand accidentally in position pointing right at him. I don't know why but it took me five seconds before I lowered my arm, and my gaze. His face was perfect and mine...was bright red. 

Elle doesn't seem to notice what just happened. She has finally chosen a diamond pearl drop necklace and the shop assistant is placing around her neck. She clasps her hands with excitement.

"How does it look? Be honest" Her eyes light up.

She looks stunning. "It looks amazing Elle" 

She purchases the necklace, thanks the shop assistant and we both walk out the store arm in arm. I can't seem to stop thinking about the stranger. He looked at me so intensely, made me feel a little self conscious actually. He was by himself in the store. He must have a girlfriend. Oh how I wish he was buying something for his mother rather than a potential girlfriend. 

Elle needs to go to the bathroom and I stand outside with our drinks in my hands. Paradise Punch and Mango Madness. Fresh and healthy. 

I notice a car slowing down and four figures turn there head towards me as they pass by. One of them rolls down the black tinted window just down enough so I get a glimpse of his eyes. Grey. Dark. Harsh. 

A hand grasps my arm tightly, I gasp "Fuck you Avery Parker"