Bee-stung

"C'mon babe give me another chance, I've missed you Avery" Xavier fiddles with my bra strap.
"Stop! I don't want this anymore. I'm tired of never knowing where or who you've been with when i'm not around." 

Flustered, tired and stressed from another night of drinking and dancing makes it terribly hard to dump your boyfriend and still go on with a job interview.

"Baby seriously, you wanted me so bad last night" I look at him with disgust at his degrading remark.

"You got me drunk for heavens sake" I pull his hand off of my backside and get off my bed. I take a long deep breath and run my hands through my hair.

"Its...over Xavier. Get out, please" I pull on my shirt and jeans and grab my keys.

"Fuck you Avery You are so hot when you try to resist me" He pulls me towards him.

"I'll drive you home" I push his chest away from me and walk downstairs.

"Ill make sure you don't fuck with any other guy" He runs down behind me and slaps my ass and walks out the door without another word. 

My stomach drops and I feel a mixture of sickness and relief. I push the feeling away and get into my car. This job will help me earn some money so I have to get it, since I'm hoping to rent my own apartment next year. I take an energy supplement and make sure to fill a bottle of water up to tame my hangover. 

A ten minute drive down the sweet suburban streets filled with manicured hedges and friendly neighbours. It can't all be genuine. There is so much bad in this world. It almost seems as if my town is hidden from it. The town surrounded by a bubble of serenity. Xavier is the exception though. 

I pull up next to the bright purple building. It sticks out like a sore thumb amongst the smaller surrounding buildings which are crisp and white. It is the same dance studio I learnt at for almost fifteen years of my life. Teaching dance would be a steady income as my hours are all the same and I am trained well so my pay will be more than decent.

"Avery? No way! Look at you, you are so tall...and wow look at those dancers legs of yours missy."  

"I can't believe its you! Penelope you look amazing. How have you been?" My face lights up at the realisation age has hit us all. Not in the 'gee I have lines and my boobs have begun to sag', but in the way we are now at our peak age of beauty and health.

"I have been amazing. Im engaged, I cant believe it. It was like yesterday we were talking about our crushes and planning our future weddings!" She laughs and admires her ring. It is gorgeous I think to myself. She smiles and her bee-stung lips purse together. 

 "I'm so happy for you Elle!" I remember Penelope would only answer to Elle as she said her name was to immature for her. I smile and she tells me she must get back to organising papers. Stacks lay upon her desk and I realise how lucky I am to be earning money doing something I am so passionate about.

I sit down and flick through some magazines while I wait. Stacks on stacks of classic 'celebrity trash' magazines almost topple over the small coffee table. These were the only insight of celebrity life and media to me and Elle when we were twelve, feeding our idolisation of Avril Lavigne and Beyonce. 

Even though I am sure I made the right choice with Xavier, a small part of me feels empty. What was the point of him and I? What is the point of all the failed relationships? To learn? I guess I've learnt that I deserve better. 

"Avery?" A girl with bright orange hair sticks her head around the wall and motions me to the door. "Ready for your interview?" I am prepared. I know everything about dance. The ways to teach technique and how to choreograph. I am not even nervous. I feel confident. 

"I got the job!" I say the minute I turn the key into my lock and the door swings open.

"No way Avery, oh hun' thats great" Mum says as she embraces me in a tight squeeze. 

"Wasn't Xavier coming for dinner tonight?" She looks behind me in his absence.

"I dumped him, I just found out he cheated on me" 

"Oh Avery, I am so sorry. How could he dare do that. He was surely lucky to have you. He was definitely pushing above his weight, slimy pig he is!" She gives me another hug and shakes her head in dissapointment. 

"Thanks for getting the mail, your friend rang earlier...Penelope, she asked if you could call her back once you get the chance" She says as she takes the collected mail from my hand.

"Oh yeah. We used to dance together a while back. She was working at the reception of the studio, major flashbacks. She is engaged too" 

"So young, lets hope she knows it is the right one. Divorces can be messy and painful" I laugh at the lack of positivity my mother has towards Elle's engagement.

"Well you never know mum, Xavier could've proposed and I could have been ignorant enough to jump into his arms at the sight of a diamond ring" I hold out my left hand and imagine a ring upon my finger. 

I decide an early night would be good since my head aches with physical pain and to top it off I am overflowing with the pain of relief of letting go of a toxic relationship. I look in my mirror, I have dark shadows to match my dark mascara topped eyelashes. My lips are still thankfully stained with a red tinge preventing me from looking as pale as snow white. 

I have a shower and let the warm water wash away the stress of the day. If only water could wash away bad memories too. My subconscious must be preoccupied with Xavier because I feel a wave of nausea take over me. My head becomes heavy and I catch myself gripping onto the shower handle. I decide to not stand as I feel light headed. Turning the shower off I step out, dry off and then proceed to put on some simple pajamas and head to bed. 

As soon as my head hits the pillow I feel like I am drifting in and out of consciousness. The heavy feeling overcomes me. I try to open my eyes but it feels as though heavy weights are attached to my eyelids pulling them down.  I give in to the overwhelming feeling of exhaustion and let myself fall asleep.