Chapter 16 Anniversary

(Luna's POV)

It had been three weeks since we had moved into the small town I had grown to call my home. From the little interaction I had experienced, everyone was really nice, but mostly kept to themselves.

Today was Friday, which meant that Martin and I would go out and eat. It was something we did every Friday night so that neither he nor I would have to cook or clean up afterwards. It's a tradition, our tradition.

At the moment, we were getting ready. Martin was in the bathroom right next to our bedroom. I sat in front of my vanity and braided my hair back in a French braid, leaving a few pieces to frame my face. That's the way Martin liked it, my hair pulled back and out of my face.

He said I looked prettier that way. I wore little makeup, Martin always said he liked me best when I looked natural. Just a little bit of blush and some lip gloss. When I was done I walked over to my dresser and pulled out a gorgeous red sundress that was already in my closet when we arrived.

Martin had everything ready. Our bed was already in our bedroom, our closet full of clothes for the both of us in our bedroom, everything we could need was already in the house.

After I changed, Martin walked into the room in nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist loosely.

"Wow...you look great" he smiled at me, traveling over to me slowly and reaching out his arms to touch me before he wrapped me in them.

"Thank you." I smiled, resting my head on his chest. The thump of his heart beat soothed me, reminding me that everything was okay. There was always a small ball in my chest that I could only describe as fear. Why it was there, I wasn't sure. Martin gave me everything I needed to feel happy and safe.

Safety was Martin's number one goal for the two of us, but as of late, there had been something that was always bothering me and I didn't know what it was. For the most part I just ignored the feeling and tried to move on from the anxiousness in my chest.

As the day went on, the feeling that constantly poked at me, subsided and I found myself enjoying the warm sun and the aimless chit chat that surrounded Martin and I. His fingers wrapped themselves around mine as we walked down the busy streets of the town. The quaint stores filled with locals. We didn't stop until we reached a small little diner that only held at the most four people. There was already a couple seated at one table, the other was for Martin and I.

As I sat down in the chair the older woman, maybe in her late fifties or early sixties turned from the man I assumed was her husband and smiled widely at me. I returned the smile but quickly looked away after Martin squeezed my hand a little too tight. To the right of the husband, there was a small TV. From there, I could see that the news was playing on mute. Before I had a chance to focus on what was being played, a young girl, maybe 16 or 17 came over to take our orders. She seemed almost weightless, the way she walked over. Her presence open and kind, while her smile welcomed us.

Martin as usual order for me. He got himself a double cheese burger and let me dip my fries in his cheese. It was my favorite. I didn't always get to eat like that, but it was a special occasion today. It was our 3 year anniversary and he wanted to make it a special day for me. He said he would give me anything I wanted today so I was taking advantage of his kindness. We ate in peace and as usual in silence until he was done and then without asking me if I was done or not, he called the waitress over and asked for the check.

The young woman with bright eyes smiled and handed over the bill to Martin. Her body tense and frigid compared to when she had seated us. When I smiled at her in hopes that she would be as weightless as she had been before, I found pity.