Chapter 13 Maybe

(Angel's POV)

The four firetrucks coming my way gave me hope.

Maybe they found her, maybe she was sitting behind a fire truck with one of those masks, pumping air into her lungs just like in the movies. Maybe I would be able to hold her in my arms and kiss her for the rest of my life just like in my dreams. Maybe...

But as I approached the smoking building, I realized that there was nothing left but ash, I realized that she wasn't there. A sudden panic filled my chest. A lump grew in my throat reminding me that my nightmare wasn't over yet.

"The hospital!" I shouted, turning to Cam and Casey who followed behind me. Their eyes showed me what I already knew. They didn't believe she was alive. They had already given up but I couldn't. So long as my heart beat, so did hers. I truly believed that. She had to be alive. "We have to go to the hospital...they probably took her there." I told them, rushing back to the car.

When they didn't get back into the car and just stared at me, I started the car and put in in drive, ignoring their cries as I zoomed off. I watched them in the rear view mirror as they chased after me. I was so busy looking in the mirror, that I hadn't realized the fire trucks parked in front of me. I couldn't see well, but I did see a truck, smashed against a tree.

"Luna?" I asked, taking off my seat belt and rushing out of the car. Close behind me were Cam and Casey. They too watched as a body was pulled out of the car.

It was a man.

As I got closer, I recognized the man...as did the two men that had never abandoned me.

"Tanner?" I asked, getting closer.

"Son, you need to step back." One of the medics said, raising his arm to keep me away.

"Tanner? Tanner! Where the hell is Luna?" I shouted, pushing against the man keeping me from my step father.

Cam was already two steps ahead of me. He raced down to the smashed car and looked in through both windows, shouting out Luna's name as he searched for a sign of her body.

"Fucking hell! Tanner! Where the fuck is my girlfriend? Where is Luna?" I shouted, pushing the man to the side and running towards Tanner who was beat up pretty bad.

He opened his mouth, his eyes fluttering open and close.

"Fire..." was all that left his mouth.

"I know about the god damn fire Tanner. Where is she!" I demanded, feeling tears sting in my eyes.

"I'm sorry....gone." he said before closing his eyes and going completely still.

"You need to move, he is going into cardiac arrest."

I felt myself be pushed aside, Cam shouting, Casey crying into his chest as the paramedics ran around Tanner. The buzz of their motions all merged together into nothingness as I saw ever moment I had with Luna flash before my eyes.

It wasn't enough. The time I had with her...it wasn't enough. I needed more. We deserved more time. She deserved more time.

She couldn't be gone. I refused to believe it.

After all...my heart was still beating.

(Author's Note)

I know! I'm a horrible person for not updating in over a year!!!! I know!! I'm so sorry! But I hope you will all forgive me!

I will try to update more often, I just got back from LA and I knew I most certainly needed to write so here you all go!

Please

Vote, Comment, Share, and follow.

Feel free to check out some of my other books.

Mr. Grey, Ugly Love, The Tyrant Who Bought My Heart, See No Evil, and many more!

I love you ALL!!!!

~Katie Xx