Chapter 26 All His Fault

Luna

Sunday came quicker than I expected. I found myself not being able to sleep the night before, tossing and turning in my room as I thought of finally being able to leave this prison, even if I did have to come back that same day. It would be much needed freedom that would finally relieve some of the anxiousness I was experiencing. When the familiar pounding came from my door at 6:00 A.M. sharp on Sunday morning, I was already awake. The sound was an unwelcome good morning, I had come to expect at Spring Meadows.

They gave me enough time to make myself decent, put on my white shirt and pants that no longer itched my skin the way it had when I first came to Spring Meadows. I managed to slide on white shoes that looked like knock off vans and completed my look for the day in record time. It accrued to me that this was the way I would be going out to the real world and for a vain moment, I wished I could trade in the white pants that looked more like scrubs for a pair of jeans or even a one of those summer dresses Martin loved for me to wear.

I braided my long mane quickly and then tossed it over my shoulder, not tying it back since hair ties were not allowed unless given by Kelly or one of the guards. Then precisely at 6:10, Sarah came back over to my door, knocked two times and then pulled the door open, looking inside to make sure I was dressed and ready before moving onto the next door.

My mornings were routine. I walked out, stood by my door and then waited until all of the ladies were standing outside of their door before we all were led out of the sleeping quarters in a single file line and then taken to the bathrooms. They gave you the option to either shower in the mornings or at night. I always preferred the night rounds. Mornings were too crowded. Mornings usually reminded me of elementary school. They even asked us to raise our hands and wait to be called on.

I relieved myself, brushed my teeth, washed my face and then waited outside of the bathrooms like I did each morning. When all the girls were done, we then all made our way towards the cafeteria. Solonge, a quiet but kind older woman, stood in the corner of the cafeteria waiting for each patient to make their way in her direction, for their morning medication. I learned mine were a mixture of anti-depression pills, Advil for my cramps this week, iron supplements, and vitamin C. I downed them all in one go and then waited at my usual table for Rikon to show up so we could go get breakfast I knew I would not touch.

The morning passed in a blur, breakfast ended quickly, then I went to the C.M.A.R room and had group, where I found myself raising my hand multiple times to try and participate which seemed to appease Kelly who called on me each time. Then for a rare treat, I was let outside for a short while, where I was able to walk the grounds alongside some of the other patients. It was a beautiful day. Summer was quickly turning into Fall, the trees had barely begun to show signs of their inevitable change. It was still warm out but the wind was picking up. It wasn't long before I was called back inside before everyone else to get ready for my outing with Casey.

It was Harvey who had called out to me. He was a handsome man despite the clear effects working here had on his face. His dark eyes were a complete contrast to his blonde hair, a shade too dark to be considered strawberry blonde but too light to be brown. It was a warm honey with streaks of light that fell down around his shoulders. More often than not he had it tied back and away from his face, but today he let it cascade down his shoulders. His arms were the size of tree trunks, hanging down the sides of his large torso. He really did resemble a tree. He was strong in every aspect of the word. The man stood tall at 6'2 maybe 6'3, his arms decorated in tattoos, everyone of them darker than the last to complement the shadows singing behind his eyes. He stood in dark jeans, a green shirt and a black sweater covering the expanse of his chest, but pulled up the length of his forearms.