"Do not look into the alphas eyes before bowing down on one knee. He will take it as a challenge and will quarrel you till you surrender especially because you are the royal guard. He is far from happy that he has what he calls a baby sitter. Do not speak unless told to and answer every question he asks you truthfully. Never forget he can hear the beating of your heart," Lara sat at her vanity as she spoke while Dalal tightened the straps of my boots, "He's a very traditional man, and considering he hasn't found his mate, he won't be delighted to have a female as his guard,"

My brows rose.

In confusion mostly.

"What is a mate?" I asked her, not missing the way Dalal paused at my question.

Lara turned around to face me, red hair flying in its volumes and face shocked.

"You don't know what a bond mate is?"

I shook my head, whispering a word of thanks to Dalal once she let go of my boot.

"A bond mate is someone the moon goddess plans to bind your soul with. You other half. They make you feel complete, fill a hole in your chest you didn't know you had," Lara smiled gratefully, most probably thinking of her male, "Not everyone gets one. It's the moon goddesses blessing to a deserving Lycan. The alpha is determined to find his woman— even travelled 4 kingdoms to look for her, but failed in his mission to even catch her scent,"

"You said he looked everywhere?" I asked. She nodded, "What of the untamed forests, did he look there?"

"I think it's best he be bonded to any normal female than his banished mate, not for his sake, but our mothers," Lara looked down, "that woman would send out an assassin and murder the poor girl if his mate held no status of royalty,"

"Your mother is the Luna?" My tone was nervous.

"Yes, but she really isn't a mother if you ask me,"

"Why would a mother not want her son to wed his rightful mate? She's his mother,"

"She's also thirsty for power,"

I pursed my lips.

"How do you know if someone's your mate?" I decided it was smarter to change the subject.

"Oh, goddess, there's too many signs," Lara gushed, "The first is their scent. All you can smell is them. Wether it's their shampoo, their incense, even their musk. You'll get dizzy of them. Somethings going to push you to them, either it be fate or just coincidence, but you will know, just by looking at them, that you're theirs and they're yours,"

Lara continued speaking but my ears drowned out the sound of her voice.

I feared I'd gotten to comfortable in my room— the castles room. The screening process hadn't ended, there was still a high chance I would be sent back to the cursed lands.

I winced.

That ringing was back. Every time I'd stare at myself in the mirror, every time I'd analyze the curves of my body too closely, thought about my future too clearly, I'd feel like I was slowly detaching. I'd feel my soul leave my body ever so slowly, so hollowly, until something around would snap me back to reality.

"Leila!" My head snapped to the sound of Dalal's voice, my hand rising to my sword, looking for any sign of danger.

Lara stood in front of me, her hand waving in front of my face as Dalal's hand remained shaking my arm. She looked startled, whereas Lara looked more confused than anything else.

"Did you get enough sleep?" Dalal asked, placing the back of her hand on my forehead before shaking her head, "you've got a fever,"

"Now isn't the right time. Dalal, prepare her herbs for when we get her back to her section of the castle,"