Chapter 59

Luca - 9 months Later

Leila's water broke.

She was rushed into the birthing quarters where she had been resting close to for the past week. I was not allowed in the room - something about the bond affecting with the birthing process; but goddess did I want to be there for the rise of our daughter or son.

Leila said she was sure it was a girl.

She felt it to her core that it was a girl - but I had a feeling it would be a boy with a heart just like his mothers. I had a strong feeling bouncing from within my gut that it would be a boy with eyes the colour of grass and a wolf even stronger than mine.

I bit my fist; an attempt to stop myself from smiling as I leaned against the chair that laid right outside the birthing quarters .

Lara, Hamza and Slaiman begged to be there to witness the birth of their next king or queen, but I refused.

Adamantly refused, might I add.

It felt too personal of a moment to share with others. Leila did not seem to mind it, but I begged her to just let it be the 3 of us until she finally agreed.

I could not comprehend that just a year and a half ago, I had been mindlessly strolling through the northern markets, completely unknowing of the fact that Leila and I would now be awaiting the birth of our first child.

Within the past few months, I learnt to appreciate what had happened. I learned to appreciate Leila every day, as thought it were my first time meeting her, for I did not know when she was going to disappear.

The door slamming open snapped me from my thoughts, forcing me to rise on both of my feet.

"Your baby is alive and well, king," The doctor smiled at me, opening the door further more, "Come in,"

"Is Leila ok?" I asked, heart squeezing.

"Tired, but definitely ok," She gestured for me to come in as she walked out, "Come on now, your woman needs you,"

My heart jumped in my chest.

My ears rang.

A nervous shiver ran down my spine.

And I walked in.

There laid Leila coddling a baby the length of my forearm, whispering sweet nothings into its face as she rocked it in her arms. I shut the door behind me, forcing Lara's eyes to snap up to me.

"Luca," She croaked, licking her dry lips, "He's beautiful. He's so, so handsome,"

He.

My son.

I took slow, shaky steps towards the bed Leila rested in and shut my eyes.

It felt as though I were about to collapse.

"Open your eyes, Luca," Leila said, tone soft, "You must look at him,"

"I can't," I admitted, falling onto weak knees.

"Why not, hobbi?" She asked.

Even with my eyes closed, I could picture her with her head tilted and her brows risen. I could picture her beautiful little eyes looking up at me in diving curiosity.

"I'm not sure,"

"I feel your fear in our bond, Luca," She said, laying a soft kiss onto my forehead, "You're enough. You're going to be a great father. You don't need to have a dad to be a good one,"

It wasn't until Leila wiped her thumb onto my cheek that I realised I was crying.

"Open your eyes, qumar," She said.