Chapter 44

Bilal (Leila's father) - The Northern Lands - 18 hours after Leila set her plan

My little girl was wandering the outskirts with no one but a witch who betrayed her trust. She was alone - maybe hungry and cold with nothing but the daggers I carved with my bare hands and a suit of armour she bound to protect with her life.

I looked up at the stars before my eyes focused on the moon.

"Goddess, it is a sin to go against your destiny, but I beg that you keep my oldest kin alive. I beg that you protect her heart in your hands and cocoon it with your hold. I pray that you watch over her, and only her," My voice cracked, "I pray that you aid her in forgiving me. I pray that she does not pass detesting me. I pray that she is safe. I pray that she is strong,"

My legs could not hold the strength of my helplessness as I collapsed on both knees, hands held out in prayer - palms facing the glittering skies.

"Leila Haddad is in need of your help, and I pray that you give it to her," A tear slid down the apple of my cheek, "The 3 kingdoms are in dire need of your help, and I pray that you give it to us,"

A hand squeezed my shoulders, forcing me to let out a shaky breath before looking up.

Batul. My mate. My lover. My other half. All things I once found beautiful, but now seem to see lacking in meaning. 

"This is the first time I see you cry, Bilal," She sighs, a hand laying atop her chest, "It is a gut wrenching sight,"

I paused for a beat, eyes catching sight of the full moon before returning them to Batul's.

"The last time I cried was when I held Fairuz' un-breathing body in my hands, Leila's mother. The time before that was when Leila was deemed dead by the pack hunters," I confessed, wiping at my tears, "Almost 9 years ago," 

"It is okay to cry, Bilal," She assured, "It is most certainly nothing to be ashamed of, my dear,"

"Indeed it is not," I stood up, walking to the edge of my roof, "Indeed it is not,"

"The king has suspicions that Leila will be striking the heart of witches tomorrow at dusk," Batul walked alongside me, "Do you believe we are ready?"

We reached the edge of the fenced roof, both uttering a prayer before looking down at the almost fabricated sight we were witnessing.

Warriors holding beasts by leashes, some by ropes as their beasts could fly and others with unbreakable obsidian chains for fear their beasts were too powerful. The warriors were guiding their beasts to the borders of the northern lands in preparation for the war tomorrow, as were the rest of the ally kingdoms.

We would march into the outskirts and fight with our last breaths, 3 kingdoms united as one for the sake of humanity.

"Can you believe my little girl fought these demons for years? That she lived in their lands and came out alive in the end?" My knuckles whitened as I spoke.

"I certainly cannot," Batul admitted, "She is a wonder. A true warrior at heart. Leila's name will be taught to our children's children. Generations above us will whisper her name in gratitude before their every slumber. May the goddess be with her,"

"May the goddess be with her," I repeated.

We sat in silence for a while as we watched the soldiers ready their arrows, guns and dynamite. The sound of their footsteps was calming at first, but as the beasts got louder in their screeching, both Batul and I began feeling uneasy. I felt her fear growing through the bond - her complete and utter agony at the predicaments that tomorrow held.