It's a few hours when I'm startled by knocking coming from the other side of my bedroom door. I hadn't realized I'd dozed off until the sound jarred me from my short sleep. My vision is hazy as I wake to see Diccan standing in the now open doorway, his eyes landing on me with features filled with contemplation.

I sit up quietly, stashing my journal away as Diccan states, "You're required to be with the pack for the welcoming phase..." I furrow my brows when his voice trails off before he clears his throat and finishes, "...the representation of the pack is the strength in its numbers; Alpha Zenon's orders."

I'm afraid I'll do something to disgrace him and the pack. I go to shake my head, but I know the alpha's word is law, so I think better and nod before lifting from the bed. Starting to put on fresh clothes, Diccan remains present and I ask, "Is everything okay?"

"I'm your chaperone so you don't make a mockery of the pack," Diccan replies bluntly, his words cutting me in the process. As I avert my gaze, putting on the rest of my clothes, he informs me, "Which means...step out of line and I'll be the one dealing out your punishment."

My eyes widen, finishing pulling on my boots as I stand, my heart beating fast when he says this. There is a brief, but soft look that alters his features as he then reminds me, "Would you rather it be Alpha Zenon?"

I shake my head, but I know very well if I did something that displeased him more, Alpha Zenon wouldn't hesitate to step in and do the job for Diccan. It might show how strong he is in front of the Nightshade Prowlers Pack alpha...

...after all, if Alpha Zenon is as harsh and unforgiving as he is...he must pale in comparison to his guest alpha.

I wonder how the Nightshade Prowlers Pack alpha must treat his omega or...omegas, that is...if he doesn't regularly kill them off as they're born into the pack.

"Are you ready?" Diccan asks when I finally come to a standstill, breathing in and out in an attempt to remain calm. After nodding my head, he opens the door and walks right out, expecting me to follow him down the hallway leading to the basement door. I keep up as best as I can, hearing him say, "They will be arriving in just a few minutes, so keep quiet, keep your head down and don't make me hurt you in front of the pack."

As much as I know Diccan will do it if need be, he holds a discernment that I might not let him fuck me for awhile based off his actions.

The sad part?

I don't hold grudges, because it's obviously my fault and I just learn from my mistakes.

There is abuzz of both excitement and nervous energy that emits from the pack. Diccan and I emerge from the basement, and I close the door behind us. I glance to the kitchen and I can smell so many different flavors that it not only draws my senses, but tantalizes the already heightened senses of my wolf. She whimpers and whines, wanting to just break loose and devour all she can...

...though that would more than likely be our last meal.

My attention is drawn away from the few women finishing setting up the table, setting down the array of meats, side dishes, everything I can think of...but Diccan nudges me toward the front door. When we are out on the porch, rows of pack members stand waiting for the guests to arrive. Alpha Zenon is on the bottom step of the stairs leading to the porch, but Diccan leads me off to the corner intersection of the porch.