•15•

-•-

After the day Keir lost his sister, he never once told me no or questioned anything I said. Rakkon had sat him down and explained why the decisions and choices he made caused a lot of pack members to become endangered, including the loss of the unborn pup. He was so young then, but Rakkon reminded me that Keir will succeed him one day and that he has to understand that everything he does not only reflects upon himself but that of the pack.

It was a hard lesson to be learned, but Keir doesn't stray far from any adults. He's by Rakkon's side for the most part, unless he's helping out with me or playing within boundaries of Zeta with the other pups. Keir still enjoys himself as a pup should, but he's wary of his actions and surroundings more so now than before.

I blame myself for the loss of her little life...because I shifted, I knew the consequences of my actions with how close to term I was with her. Rakkon won't allow me to take this blame, telling me that if I hadn't acted how instinctively and quickly that I had, then Fern, Knox...Keir...they would have been killed by the rogue wolf.

It was the hardest choice I've had to make...but it didn't feel like it at the time.

The years have gone by, watching my son grow and come to understand much about those who will look to him one day as they do with Rakkon. It's the summer before we visit the Death Stalkers Pack for the ten-year truce renewal...

Keir's eight now, Coen quickly trying to keep up with him at the age of six. Though Coen will not come with us, Rakkon wanting to limit the members visiting this year, he'll remain with Ilyas and Tamra as they watch over the pack.

It doesn't settle well with me, but I haven't said anything to Rakkon in regards to why he didn't say anything about me staying behind. To my knowledge...the luna stays behind when the alpha is away, helping oversee the pack with the beta...but that's not the case. I don't understand why I'd be going with him to the one place I wanted to get furthest away from.

It's been a rather odd summer, to say the least, catching Rakkon in his office with Narkis while they both stare down at the desk. They hover over documents, Narkis shaking his head while Rakkon rubs his forehead, pointing at something specifically that I cannot see. What I do find odd, the way bottles of wine are being prepared, set aside in a separate storage area with a lock and key that only Rakkon has access to.

"Keir, can you help me put away the laundry?" I ask my young son, seeing him lift his gaze from one of the couches in the game room.

He sets down what he's playing with, replying, "Yes, mamma."

He picks up the laundry basket, climbing the steps with me until we reach the third level. We start in his room, setting the basket on his bed before he goes to put away his socks, underwear, and shirts. As I set his jeans on hangers, Keir asks me, "Mamma, why are you afraid?"

Furrowing my brows with confusion, I halt my actions and ask him, "Why would you think that?"

Keir shrugs his shoulders and says, "Daddy said I'm coming to the pack we're meeting, but you didn't seem to like it...and you do that thing with your hands."

Great...even my son has caught on to how much I fidget when I'm uneasy.

"Keir, I-"

"Ash," Rakkon's voice interrupts me from Keir's bedroom door, both Keir and I glancing to see him standing in the open frame. Rakkon glances at Keir before he asks me, "Can we talk for a moment?"

Releasing a short breath, I nod and ask Keir, "Can you please finishing putting your clothes away?"

Keir nods and replies, "Yes, mamma."