Earl Grey

"That is the exploration that awaits you! Not mapping stars and studying nebula, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence." - Leonard Nimoy

"We're going hiking," was the first words I heard when I woke up. My eyelids fluttered open, sticky with eye gunk. I rubbed my eyes, getting rid of any trace of sleep. I looked around to re-orientate myself. We were in some shady motel, with Dylan on a lumpy couch and me on a dodgy mattress with springs poking my back. It was a rough night to say the least, but there was a roof over our heads and a place to rest our heads. It was definitely and adventure.

"Good morning sunshine," Dylan smiled at me. He looked back at me from his couch. I threw the thin cover off my body and made my way to the bathroom. I cleaned up while Dylan watched TV. I looked at myself in the mirror, as I leaned against the basin. The mirror was dirty but I was still able to see my face. My cheeks were stained pink, my skin had a slight tan and my hair was lighter. The changes were subtle but for someone who noticed everything these changes were monumental.

"You done in there chicken?" Dylan called. I answered by opening the door. "What was the hold up?" He smirked. I shrugged.

"Okay, let's go for breakfast. I found this nice diner while you were sleeping."

Wait what? You were awake? For how long?

"Oh just a few hours." He smiled.

How long is a few hours. I narrowed my eyes.

"Okay you got me, I've been up since six now can you please stop with all the questions so we can get some food. I don't know about you but I'm starving and we have a big day today. No don't ask, just go with the flow. I'm the only one with the plan, you just have to enjoy this vacation." He grinned at me. I rolled my eyes at him and elbowed his side. "Ouch you elbow like a man!"

I rolled my eyes and looked at him flatly. "Okay, okay I was kidding! Now can we please get some food?" I sighed and nodded.

"What would like dearies?" The waitress asked. I looked up from the menu. I pointed to the item on the list, "We'll have two batches of butterscotch pancakes, two plates of bacon, a pitcher of orange juice, and whatever she asked for on the menu. Thanks." Dylan smiled angelically.

"Coming right up!" The waitress trilled. I refolded the menu and placed it on the counter in front of me. Dylan turned to me but didn't say anything. He just kept staring at my face.

Do I have something on my face? I scribbled on a napkin.

"No."

Then why are you staring at me?

"Because I like to look at beautiful things." He stated. My cheeks heated up and I turned my face away.

I'm not beautiful

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." He replied.

You always have a reply for everything I say don't you?

"I guess I do."

"You guys are eating up a storm in here. Are you sure you're going to eat all of this food?" The waitress asked as she laid out the plates.

"Yeah, we will." Dylan chuckled. "Elise, tuck in." I didn't hesitate this time, piling my plate with pancakes and bacon. I've always preferred waffles to pancakes, but these were just heavenly. By the end of our meal, I was so full I wasn't sure I could have walked properly but Dylan as usual was so pushy when it came to moving on.

Are we going to have one day where we don't have to stick to a schedule?

"No."

Why not?