Chapter 12: Molve Bait (Part 3/4)

Start from the beginning

          Regardless of the clear fault, Phantom lead him into a dark room, pointing him down behind a pile of fallen rubble where they both crouched like frightened toddlers waiting for a pranked mother to enter the room. Cinder's optimism was almost as hot as her feathers as the phoenix offered what little help she could, crawling into Káel's combat suit to conceal her noticeable glow.

          "The rock, it's in your pocket right?" Phantom whispered.

          He flashed the brown rock to him. "You mean your rock?"

          Phantom nodded, the two of them stiffening at the sound of a heavy splash and scrabbling claws. "I want to test something... because that Molve's behaviour screams a little more than I want your ribbon."

   —————    

          The Molve prowled through the dark, its keen claws clicking eagerly against the ground with every step. Vera and Xavier huddled out of its sight, pressed into the back of a small stone covered hole they were fortunate enough to find while holding their breath in fearful anticipation.

          The clicks grew louder in tune to their waning chances of escape, the small play of moving shadows giving them a foggy view as it circled them. Then the glowing orange eyes came into view, faint as it lowered its head in front of them, thankfully peering in the wrong direction.

          Vera readied herself to let loose every explosion she knew on the creature, staring at it in fear as it slowly turned it's head, meticulously scanning the area. The Molve's breaths were cold and calm, it's mouth slightly ajar to display its rows of serrated fangs. Luckily, false life enchantments lacked a sense of smell, giving them the smallest chance at avoiding detection.

          But that chance was getting smaller and smaller, as the Molves head slowly turned, getting closer to finding its targets. 

          Until the barking roar that echoed through the building's fragile bones like a demonic saviour grabbed its attention.

          The Molve shot its head up attentively, ears spiked upwards as it barked in response, quickly blind to its prey as it hastily vacated the room.

          Xavier gasped for air, peeking his head out of the hole to get a look at the room. "Whew, it left," he chuckled, hoisting himself up, and getting to his feet to pat down his combat suit. "That was way too close."

          Vera climbed out, adjusting her small satchel of stones with an irritated bite to her tone. "I guess we made up in points for losing Brim, but not by much, and we only have a little over half an hour to go."

          "Poor Brim, he shall be missed. Doomed to walk back by himself," Xavier chimed carelessly, his playful eyes darting around. "But I wonder what that Molve hightailed out of here for, it must have been important."

          Vera shrugged. "Whatever it was, it's not our problem." She popped her head out of the doorway, looking left and right before exiting. "Cinder will be leading the rest of the group to us. Let's go explore some more while we wait."

          "Agreed."

          She muttered quietly, and a dim orb of light rose from her hands, giving the two a small visible area around them.

          "Isn't that what got us caught last time?" Xavier whispered cautiously.

          "Yeah, but how else are we supposed to find anything?" Vera retorted. "Besides, if another Molve tries to chase us down, I'll blast it with every explosion I know." She finished with a confident smirk, twisting her head to a distant splashing noise as he shoulders stiffened and a gasp got lodged in her throat.