Chapter 19: Branson.

Why on earth had I done that? Why had I listened to those idiots? Why had Sam kissed her? I swear I really am going to kill him for that.

Once Mary was up the stairs and I heard her bedroom door slam shut I turned on Sam.

“What was that man?” I asked.

“Sorry, dude. She’s too good for you.” He laughed, jumping through the window.

“Too good for me?”

“Yeah, I mean. You’ve got a girlfriend so you can really be with her and when she saw that you were hurt she went all frantic. Not to mention that she’s beautiful, funny, and smart. And you did this too her? She’s too good for you.” He mumbled as Aaron and Charlie jumped through the window too.

“You did this to her too.” I complained.

“Yeah, but I didn’t even know her. You’re supposed to be her best friend.” Sam scoffed.

“Hey, you guys who cares?” Aaron said “We got what we wanted.”

“Yeah, at least now we know she cares. Now you know. So what you going to do?” Charlie asked.

“I don’t think this is the best place to talk about that.” I mumbled looking up.

“You’re probably right. And man, I’m sorry I kissed her. It really wasn’t a big deal though. It was just a joke. She didn’t even like it that much. I could tell. She kissed me back but…” Sam trailed of.

“It’s cool man.” I shrugged, and then I punched him in right in the eye.

“Ow! I thought you said it was cool!” He complained.

“I was wrong. Now it’s cool.” I said patting him on the back.

“Hey, Branson man, I’m sorry too. This was my idea.” Aaron said looking at his hands “Sorry it didn’t work out the way you wanted. I didn’t realize how mad she’d be. I didn’t realize she cared so much.”

“What?” I asked “She was just pissed.”

“You’re so dumb.” Charlie mumbled to himself “You can’t even see it.”

We all turned to stare at him.

“What? It’s true.” He said and the other two just shrugged.

“Pricks.” I complained “Let’s go.”

I was half way out the door when I heard Sam call out to Charlie and Aaron.

“Hey you guys her number is five, zero, two, eight, nine—“

“No.” I said. Then I picked up her phone set and threw it across the room. It smashed against the wall and broke into a bunch of pieces “None of you are calling her.”

They all stared, bug eyed at me.

“Dude.” Aaron complained “You just broke her house phone.”

“Yeah, now you won’t be able to call it.” I reached into my pocket and pulled the black iPhone with a silver ribbon on it that I had gotten her for her eighteenth birthday. I couldn’t remember what day exactly it was because I couldn’t talk to her long enough to find out, but I felt like a phone was the best thing to get her. She hadn’t had friends to call or text but now she did. Now she had me and Bryan and…and…ugh! I guess I should give her their numbers.

I found a piece of paper and wrote her a short note to go with her present.

Dear Mary,

I could never get you to talk long enough to find out when your birthday was but I knew it was soon. I got you a present anyways. I know you don’t like expensive gifts but I figured you’d survive with this one. You have unlimited text, talk, and data for the next two years. It’s pre-paid. I’m sorry about your house phone. I left some money under the phone to pay for a new one. I also made all the boys contacts on your phone. I’m sorry for the scare we gave you.