Chapter 10 (Unedited)

Steve's POV

Natasha and I, upon leaving the McDonald's had just about spotted the flash of clothing disappearing around the corner of the street. Apparently Miss Chase and Mr Jackson's friends were just as fast as they were. Sighing we started to jog towards the corner, again barely spotting the kids at the other end of the street. "It seems that we've encountered a group of sprinters," Natasha joked as we ran down the street. "Of course we get to chase the ones that are actually good runners, whilst Tony, Bruce and Clint get to stay at the tower." I heard a muffled yell in our comms, likely one of our team mates mock offended at Natasha's words. "But Nat the tiny cameras that Tony put in your jacket buttons give us a really good live video feed of this, and we don't have to do any running" Clint joked back through the comms, letting out a small chuckle. As Natasha and I picked up the pace, I distinctly heard Natasha fire several expletives back towards Clint, her light tone betraying her accusatory words.

Despite our complaints, both Natasha and I we're able to keep the group within our eyesight - or at least roughly where they were heading, hoping that we'd be able to catch up if they stopped. Suddenly I saw the colourful orange shirt that one of their friends was wearing come to a sudden halt. As the teens slowly made their way into a darkened alleyway, I put on a final burst of speed, allowing me to overtake Natasha slightly. As I came to a stop at the alleyways entrance I saw an incredible strange scene - Mr Jackson was brandishing a aluminium bat at a beautiful woman. Before I could stop myself a quiet "What on earth" escaped my lips.

Percy's attention immediately landed on me, a flash of worry crossing his face. Before I could even begin to process why he would feel worried - after all he was the one with the weapon not me - I became aware that the beautiful woman had turned towards me, an enchanting grin pasted across her face as she advanced. Natasha ran in next to me at that moment, also coming to a surprised stand still next to me.

Whilst Natasha and I both stared at the strange scene in front of us I was aware that Percy was muttering under his breath and making pulling motions with his free hands. As he continued to make pulling motions, which were getting more and more frantic the approaching woman's appearance started to change. With each hand movement that Percy gave her copper hair started to become brighter, resembling fire. It wasn't long before I realised that her flaming red locks were quite literally flaming, matching her strange red eyes. The woman also appeared to have become drastically paler, with fangs protruding from her lips, and her fingernails extending into talons. Natasha let out an exclamation of "What the fuck is that!" and whilst I didn't necessarily agree with the language, I mentally echoed the sentiment. The woman's approaching form seemed more threatening now but I couldn't bring my body to move shocked by the sudden changing appearance of a woman whose beauty had reminded me of Peggy. From Natasha's similarly frozen figure next to mine, I assumed that she too was in at shock.

"Guys" I distantly heard worried voices shouting through our comms, obviously worried by Natasha's words. "What can you guys see that we can't?" Snapping back to my senses I was about to respond to the team, when I realised how close the monster had been able to get. As I tried to move us out of the way, my body moving too slowly to get either Natasha or I out of harms way in time, I drily realised what the teens had meant when they had mentioned monsters the previous day.

Before I was able to fully appreciate the ironic situation we had found ourselves in - surrounded by the deadly monsters that we had been searching for - there was a sudden flash of movement in front of us. Whilst Natasha and I had been frozen, Percy had dived in front of us, preventing the monsters talons from reaching us, with what appeared to be a glowing sword.

"You-need-to-get-out-of-here" he grunted, his words punctured by the effort of blocking the woman's powerful attacks. As he returned several powerful blows, causing the woman to start bleeding, Natasha and I exchanged extensive looks. Whilst our orders had been to follow the group of kids, for as long as we could, there was nothing I wanted to do more right now, than turn around and leave. However a small part of me wanted to know more - what these monsters were, why we couldn't see them initially, why the team still saw the beautiful woman over the video feed, and finally who these kids were. After a few seconds of silently communicating, Natasha and I came to a conclusion to stay, our curiosity winning us over. Despite our decision I still took a slight step back, feeling incredible unprepared in the middle of the impromptu battle scene. Clint and Tony were still calling out to us in our comms but both of us were too focused on the boy in front of us, and the practised moves that he was using against the monster. Natasha let out a shout, as Percy momentarily dropped his defences, receiving a deep gouge to his arm. Letting out a quiet hiss of pain, he began to attack again with even more ferocity, and even more accuracy. "We - got this," he grunted once more, as the woman in front of us burst into a pile of golden dust. Whilst I stared in horror at the remnants of what had been some sort of woman only five minutes before, Percy darted off, presumably to help one of his friends.