Dinner Date Gone Wrong?

Continuation of Space Boy

{Requested}

{Warning: Lime-y}

     It had been two years now since Keith and I had met in the pasture at midnight. Since then, we had been getting throngs of news reporters and those crazy conspiracy theorists on my family's ranch, trying to bombard Keith with questions about life outside of our solar system and such. We've gone through countless interviews and Keith is considered a celebrity, to his dislike. We also get tons, I mean TONS, of fan letters in the mail (which the mailman will never forgive us for.).

      Despite all that, we had let space boy rent out one of our small houses on our property and in return, he would pay his debt in being a ranch hand, which was also good for me so I wasn't the one constantly doing the hard labor.

     During this time, we grew pretty close as friends. We still have our constant bickering from time to time, yet we remain friends nonetheless. Sometimes while we would do some ranch work together and have a lunchbreak, he would tell me about Voltron, or the evil Galra Empire, or his big adventures in space with his teammates. He even taught me alot about the wonders of space, he even promised me to take me our for a joy ride in the Red Lion (which we had to store in the barn so people wouldn't see it) but I doubted that day would come anytime soon. In the meantime, Keith was still one of the Paladins for Voltron and if there was any trouble, he was always on call.

          Tonight I had invited him over for dinner for helping me muck out the stalls and tend to the farm animals, so I was busy in the kitchen preparing some cooked ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, steamed vegetables, and some homemade iced tea.

       I had just gotten done with setting the table, the ham was still in the oven for about five minutes longer, then I heard a knock at the door.

      "Come in!" I called out and the door opened, followed by footsteps that led to the kitchen table.

      I looked over from the counter where I was pulling out two glasses to pour some iced tea, seeing Keith with a black tee, red flannel, dark jeans, and sneakers. He had a bouquet of crimson and coral pink roses in one hand, a lopsided smile on his face. I smirked.

     "I offered you to have dinner with me, this isn't a date. The flowers are lovely though, thanks." I laughed softly, turning to the pitcher, Keith rolled his eyes, a trace of a blush on his face.

     "There's a vase on the table if you want to set the flowers down." I strode to the table with the drinks in my hand, setting them down on the red and white checkered table cloth. "Food should be ready in a few."

       Keith nodded and gently scooted the flowers into the glass vase, the roses looked vibrant, reflecting a deep red hue in his metallic colored eyes.

      I pushed one of the cups toward him as he sat down on one of the wooden kitchen chairs, the ice stirred in the tea, clinking against the glass every while.

     "You seem a little quiet. Is something bothering you? Is it the news reporters again?" I asked, noting that he hadn't said anything since he got here. He cracked a smile at my last comment.

      "I'm fine, just tired..." He replied bluntly. Something told me he was lying, he didn't look anywhere close to being tired. If I had learned anything about Keith in these two years, it's that when he's silent, he has something on his mind, And I also learned about his adoration towards hippos.