Chapter 20: A Decision Made

When Luke approached Nellie sitting outside of Campus Ministry, she stood up and hugged him. It was a long hug that Luke first hesitated to return, but the hesitation was brief as he wrapped his arms around her red coat.

"Kevin told me about the letter," Nellie said.

"That dick..." Luke muttered in her ear. "I mean, I wanted to talk to you first about it. I just got the letter fifteen minutes ago and now I feel like I'm forced to leave."

Nellie and Luke pulled apart, "You're not. You can stay, you can go. The decision is yours. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

"But, what about—us?" Luke choked out the last word.

"Here's the thing—true relationships don't breakup by growing distances. If anything, they grow stronger."

"So, we could staytogether? Even if I leave?"

"Yes, if that's what you want," Nellie said. She gave Luke no hint about the painful tear she'd feel once he was gone. In the past couple of weeks, they had gone through Hell, but in that fire burned a longing to staywith Luke. But she wanted what was best for him. She wanted him to grow stronger, to master whatever skill he possessed, to find out more about his past. And she didn't want to be the one to stand in the way of him unleashing his true potential.

Luke smiled, "As long as we can stay together, even while apart—then I think I should go."

Nellie nodded, "You better answer my texts then," she laughed trying to hide back tears.

This time Luke took the initiative and leaned in to kiss her. Their lips clutched onto one another like a pair of hands around a sacred and fragile object. When they pulled away it was as difficult as tearing off an old bumper sticker off of a car, the remains of their happiness couldn't be stripped away completely.

"Always," Luke said. "I'll even write to you. I'll stay connected, and I will be back."

"I'll hold you to it."

"Fantastic," Kevin shouted from the Campus Ministry door. "Now, about that flight we need to catch soon."

Luke turned around and flipped Kevin off and Nellie struggled to suppress her snorkel of a laugh. Kevin shook his head and muttered to himself. "Such immaturity."

Stepping besides Kevin was Father Matthew. Luke saw Father Matthew and turned to Kevin, "Give me at least an hour to think this through," Luke said. Sure, Nellie was okay if Luke left, but how can he just trust Kevin and this random letter he received? What if it was all a trap to get him isolated away from friends, especially a place filled with priests, in order to properly possess him like Lilith wanted?

"Fine," Kevin sighed. "If you need an hour to think through a question you already know the answer to, then go ahead. I'll meet you at Opus when you're done convincing yourself you've done a thorough investigation of the opportunity." Kevin made his way across McMahon parking lot shaking his head at how slow Luke operated. He muttered to himself. "St. George will beat that indecision out of him."

While Kev disappeared, Nellie slipped her hands inside Luke's while he addressed Father Matthew. "You really think I should go through with this?"

"I understand the prospect of leaving this life so suddenly to undertake a new one is daunting. But," Father Matthew chuckled, "why I found myself making such a quick decision to join the priesthood."

"Really?" Luke said.

"Yeah, not the brightest way to go about it. But hey, look how long I've lived in service of God. Stronger men than me have died at half my age at the rate I smoke."