Chapter 15: Evil Love

Luke's heart was an airplane, seeking to kamikaze the ship of love. The one good thing he had going for him, Nellie, his first real relationship, had been all a lie. She was possessed by a demon, and Luke didn't know if on that first date he was kissing Nellie or a demon that was older than the human race.

Father Matthew checked his robe for more holy water, but he was out, and Luke had just dumped the last bit of holy water on Gio. Father Matthew then realized he was in a Basilica and that, by the entrance, there were three bowls of holy water waiting to be doused on a demon.

The only problem was getting through the demon in order to get the water weapon. Sure, Father Matthew could go around, but she would notice him with ease and flag him down like a lion chasing a gazelle with only three legs. Father Matthew didn't run like he used to. So, he waited for an opportunity to arise.

Meanwhile, Nellie was a stonewall, failing to waiver or provide any sign that she was going to make any of this easy. She addressed Luke, "You look so surprised. To be honest, I would say I'm shocked to see you expel my sisters in such a gruesome way. But then again, you have the insatiable taste for betrayal that characterizes all of the CoreFour."

What the hell is she talking about? Luke thought.

Nellie could read the confusion on his face and laughed, "You don't even know who you are. That's sad. Let me make you a deal then. I will open your mind to the truth about everything—who you are, your past, your true parents."

Nellie had Luke's attention as he leaned closer to check if what he was hearing was real. Does she really know who I am and where I come from?

"I'll give you everything if you allow me just one thing in return."

When Nellie paused for a couple of seconds of awkward silence, Luke finally spoke, "What do you want?"

"I want you."

"But you already had me. We were dating. You could've kept it quiet and we could've been together..." Luke bit his lips to stop himself from saying anymore. A man always believes his first love will be his only love, and Luke was willing to accept a relationship where he was ignorant to the fact that his girlfriend was possessed by a demon if it meant keeping his first love.

"You misunderstand," Nellie said. "That was being with you. I want to be in you. I want to be you. I want..."

"To possess my body?" Luke finished. "But why? You already possessed some poor girl's body."

"You mean this hideous thing? So weak and flimsy, lacking in any power. Oh Luke, this body pales in comparison to yours. This was just a temporary dress. But you, there's something special about you. There's a reason why I went through all this trouble to get close to you."

"All this trouble?" Luke thought of all the bad things that occurred on campus and his face curled like expired milk. "You're responsible for all the bad things that has been happening on campus."

Nellie rang, "Bing-bing-bing-bing-bing! We have a winner."

"The fire..."

"Yeap, aluminum in the microwave."

"The suicides..."

"Well the first one yes. Your friend Darryl was easy to manipulate once I got a couple of drinks in him."

"You raped him?"

"Rape is such a strong term. I loved him more than he could handle."

"Why would you do such a thing? And we were together at that point...so you cheated on me?"