Chapter 19: A Date to Decide

Before Luke knew it, the weekend had passed, and Monday soared in like a falcon riding the winds. Luke awoke to an email saying he had received a letter at the mailroom. After he was done with his morning LC's, mandatory learning community classes for all freshmen at CUA, he stopped by McMahon Hall to check his letter box. Luke, like nearly 90% of the students at CUA, struggled to open his mailbox. The mailbox had a locker combination that he found on his online student account. It reminded him of high school. He was used to opening lockers then and never had problems with it.

But these mailboxes did not want to be opened. He followed the directions, turn clockwise four times and land on the first number of the combination, turn counterclockwise twice and land on the second number (this was always the hardest step for people), and finally, turn clockwise until you reach the final number.

After several attempts, and several failures, Luke asked for help in retrieving his mail. The lady behind the counter asked for his mailbox number and Luke told her. She went and collected the mail and handed it over to him.

"Is this yours?" She asked.

Luke looked at the white envelope. It was addressed to him: Luke Sanchez, Opus Hall 703D. Yet, Luke did not recognize the return address, partly because it didn't have any.

"Yes," Luke answered as he took the letter. "Thank you." He took the letter towards a nearby table and ripped it open, destroying the envelope, and unveiling the letter inside.

He read the letter, and his heart started to race. Either the letter arrived at the strangest of coincidences or it knew something about Luke that he didn't know about himself. It read:

Dear Luke Sanchez,

We have been notified of your recent achievements and demonstrations of exceptional talent beyond human capacity at The Catholic University of America in defense against an assault by three Xesters. With such evidence of exceptional courage, dedication, and solicitude, we would like to formally invite you to accept our invitation to join the St. George's Academy's family. Located in the beautiful Rocky Mountains, St. George's Academy (SGA) is a free school dedicated to serving the Blessed Trinity in the continual struggle against the forces that seek to undermine the good in the world. Only students of a special heritage can be admitted into SGA—a special heritage you possess.

You will shortly be contacted by an ambassador from SGA. If you wish to accept our welcome, you will need to accompany the ambassador to our campus. You may have many questions about who you are, and where you come from. SGA has the answers. Any questions you have will be answered in full once you arrive. I implore you to think over this opportunity to serve the Blessed Trinity and fight for the greater good. It is our students and alumni that God will work through to assist in his mission to right the world of malevolent forces.

I look forward to meeting you in person.

Sincerely,

Dean Ammon

It didn't take him long to reach Campus Ministry. He barged in, ignoring the receptionist and opening the door to Father Matthew's office, who was working on his sermon for next Sunday's mass. The receptionist caught up and placed her hand on Luke's shoulder.

"Sir, you can't just barge in like that," she growled.

"It's quite alright Candice. I was expecting Luke."

Candice turned around and walked off like a sassy bird, hobbling over to her seat and tweeting beneath her beak curses Luke didn't care to understand.