Prologue: A Fading Light

Four years the child had lived in a trance, fixated on the light. Sitting on the ground surrounded by toys Luke paid no attention to the world around him.  His mother would wave her hand in front of her child and Luke's milky eyes would never track it. She'd tap the child to get his attention and he would never pay it forward. She'd speak to the child and call out his name: "Luke," his mother would call out. "Listen honey, your name is Luke Sanchez. Say it with me: 'My name is Luke Sanchez.'" Silence. "My name is Luke Sanchez." Nothing but sniffles from Luke's mom. Four years old, and the child could barely make a sound, let alone formulate a word.

His father couldn't stand to watch his wife lose hope in their child any longer. He was reaching five, and the condition Luke was born with would be irreversible once he surpassed his fifth birthday. Luke's father took him to his old school, an academy for his kind, located deep in the cold mountains out west. He entrusted his child into their care, "Save my boy." He knew the process to save his child was dangerous and that his son will one day discover his past and realize what he had lost being pulled from such an experience....

And it was dangerous. As Luke laid on the grass, he was being withdrawn from the light he had been so fixated on for the past four years. He was left in a daze as a young chubby man with short bangs shouted in the distance. "Luke!" The chubby man paused as he struggled to avoid a wave of fire, "He's one of us!" The chubby man ducked from a fireball that was shot in his direction. Okay Michael, the chubby man thought to himself maybe us isn't the right word here.  So Michael adapted his plea, "He's one of you!"

No matter what word Michael chose, the fire kept coming toward him. The creatures of light that were chasing him away, swung their fiery swords in arches, unleashing two slices of fire that traveled across the air and nearly caught him. Any closer and he'd burn to death. Michael searched frantically for a path to save Luke. He saw an ocean of grass fluttering in the breeze colliding with a gate that led to a patch of woods lining the boundary to humanity's first home. Michael looked behind him and saw the twin-mountains arching to create a pass—an exit to a cove. The small boat they came in on was there, lodged at the edge of the water at high tide. He could escape. But, without the child, his mission would be a failure. To leave a team member behind, no matter how young, was against the young man's philosophy.

Today he had to break that rule for the second time and it would leave him feeling guilty for the rest of his life. "I'll come back for you Luke," he promised as he turned his attention to the creatures of light pursuing him. "Don't hurt him. He's one of you."

Luke laid still as his milky eyes receded like clouds paving way to unveil a new teal set of eyes staring into oblivion. Slowly his eyelids started to shut. A blast of wind struck him from above, like the wind generated by the blades of a hovering helicopter. Through the slits of his eyes he saw a bright light fade. Standing in place of the light was a small flame kindled in the palm of a robed figure. The flame came closer blocking out the image of white fiery feathers jutting out from the figure's sides.

Luke felt warmth rush through his body. He took a deep breath as if testing out his lungs for the first time. The tension released from his body and his eyelids caved in. He released his grip and stumbling along the grass besides him was a half-eaten piece of purple fruit.

*________________________________________________*

Author's Note

This is my first work I am seriously posting to Wattpad. I have posted a series of short stories before. The novella you're about to read was written in the Spring of 2018 for a theology class I took in my senior year of college. For the class I was given the option to be creative in my assignments, and I approached the teacher about an idea for a book that would illustrate concepts from the class in a fictional world that would make reading and understanding these concepts more enjoyable. Hence, Forgotten Angel was born.

A lot of authors on Wattpad tend to include a section similar to this--a section at the end of each chapter where I can provide some insight into the story, share fun facts, or ask questions. Since this is my first serious story I'm sharing with the world, I would appreciate any feedback you can provide. A couple of ways you can do this is by commenting answers to any questions I ask and sharing any constructive criticisms you have. I appreciate any insight that will help me continuously improve my writing. I also love to hear your interpretation of events, scenes, or characters in the story. So feel free to share your thoughts! I'll do my best to respond back as quickly as possible.

With regards to this prologue, it was written purposely to be confusing. The events described in this prologue will not make sense until chapter 11, which is halfway through the story. People with a Christian background may be able to guess the location this prologue takes place at by reading in-between the lines. Otherwise, the answer will become more clear as the story progresses. So if you found this prologue confusing and all over the place, it's supposed to be that way! I promise the rest of the story will not be as confusing as this prologue.

This story is completed and all the chapters are posted and ready to read. So get ready to tear through those virtual pages. 

I hope you enjoy the story.

- L. A. Rivera