Chapter 18: A Joyful Date

The weekend was normal. No fires, no suicides, no shelters in places, no demons—just normal. Luke hung out with his girlfriend, with his friends, and although they tried to avoid talking about what happened, it was generally difficult to ignore.

That Saturday, Luke met up with Nellie for a casual "date" on campus. It was more of a friendly get together as they ate at Murphy's, an on-campus restaurant located in the Pryz. When Luke agreed to meet up for dinner, he knew he had many questions he wanted to investigate, but they all centered around do I really know Nellie?

"Hi, welcome to Murphy's," said the waitress as she placed down some napkins on the table and took out a pad and pen. "Can I interest you guys in anything to drink?"

Nellie spoke first. "I'll have a pink lemonade."

She's speaking first, Luke thought. So far so good.

"I'll have a Coke," Luke said.

"Great, I'll be right out with those for you."

Luke busied himself perusing the menu since it was the first time he came to Murphy's. "They accept dining dollars right?" Luke asked himself aloud.

"Yes, they do. And I guess you'll be picking up the tab this time then?" Nellie asked.

"I didn't think..." Luke mumbled.

"What? That the first date counted?"

Luke hesitated. He wanted to say yesbut that might trigger a unwelcomed response from Nellie, one that might send him to the hospital. It was best if he played along until he understood who Nellie really was.

"Look," Nellie said breaking through his mild silence. "I know what happened to me—well it wasn't natural. But I told you back at the Basilica although I was a backseat driver while Lilith was in control, there were times when I felt like I made my way to the passenger seat in the front—as if I got a clearer view of the world and could grab the wheel if I needed to take control, even if Lilith was still shouting directions on where to go. But that last date, it was real. It was me. Maybe not all of me, but it was still me."

The waitress came back with their drinks. "A pink lemonade for the lady, love your hair by the way. Where did you go to get it colored?"

"Oh, I did it myself." Nellie smiled but deep down wanted the waitress to stop the smalltalk and get going.

"Nice job, and a Coke for the gentleman. Now, are you guys ready to order?"

"We need a couple more minutes," Nellie said.

"No problem. I'll be back in a couple of minutes." The waitress left to tend another table.

It was when the waitress left that Luke finally decided to tackle the demon in the room head on. "How much of what I know about you is real?"

"Well," Nellie thought. "I'm really a Bio major. I'm studying in order to go to medical school after my undergrad. I'm not from Australia, well my parents are from there, but I was born here in the U.S. in California. And although I'm not an atheist, I wouldn't say I'm a devout Catholic. I'm—well I was in between. But after this whole episode I think I'll start heading back to church on Sundays."

Nellie was barely finished before he fired off a second question. "When and how did you end up with Lilith?"

"Well I'd say about a month ago, so later than your two friends who got possessed sometime last semester. I was in the stacks, searching for—now don't judge me just yet, but I was looking for books on Satan."

"What?" Luke asked.

The waitressed popped up besides them. "Okay, have you've guys decided on what you want?"