Chapter 9: Servant of the Damned

Luke went to bed with an answer. But he followed Father Matthew's advice and spoke to Jesus as if he was his friend. He sat in his bed facing the ceiling, pretending to have a nighttime conversation with Kev, which rarely happened since Kev went to bed so early—or maybe Luke just went to bed too late.

He mumbled to himself, audible for anyone with good hearing in the room to hear, "Sup Jesus how's it been?" He couldn't help cracking a smile. He knew he didn't talk like this, but it's how most guys talk today wasn't it? "Nothing special I hear," Luke continued. "Well it's been pretty crazy down here. I still have no clue what caused the flame in my hand, and I'm still awaiting your answer on that one. I hope Darryl has cleansed himself in purgatory and has made his way into heaven. If not, please expedite the process. He was a good guy who made a poor decision. Don't we always make one? Anyway, today I went to confession and talked with a priest named Father Matthew who gave me an idea on what's been causing these weird things to happen on campus—demons. I mean it sounds crazy if you ask me, but then again sprouting fires in my hand is also crazy ain't it? And seeing my face distorted and aged forward in a pond? Isn't that crazy too? What's happening to me?"

Luke allowed himself three minutes of silence. He was growing frustrated at the silence but tried his best to tune into any sound—any sign in the room. The mini fridge purring to life, the consistent screech of his watch wirelessly charging, the passing freight train outside of his dorm.

Nothing. He heard nothing from Jesus.

"Useless," he muttered to himself as he made the sign of the cross. But, before he was able to finish the sign he heard a voice emanate inside the room amongst a rustling body. He tuned into it, "Mmph, angel." He locked onto the noise and realized that it emanated from the mouth of Kev who was muttering as he was dreaming—and one that may result in a soiled bed if he wasn't careful. Luke shook his head disappointed in the lack of a response. I got my hopes up for nothing.

***

While working his Tuesday shift at Safe Walk, he was stationed in the Pryz. The Pryz was the Grand Central Station to this campus. Many students passed through there still, even though there was a newer building on campus that also served food. It was still only here that someone could get Chick-fil-A nuggets or a Subway sandwich. Many upperclassmen stuck to the Pryz for this reason as their meal swipes could get a heart clogging, but delicious chicken filled meal or a somewhat healthy sandwich that will evolve into an unhealthy sandwich with an excessive amount of toppings and chips.

Luke sat beside the door with his coat on. The students at the school had a tendency to hit the handicap button on the door even though they were not handicapped. Luke understood that the doors were pretty heavy and that hitting that button made it so much easier, but it brought in a huge draft of cold air during the winter time as he sat for five hours watching students come in and out of the Pryz while he shivered doing homework.

Luke gets extra annoyed when a strong person walking with almost pure muscle slams the button with extra bravado to show off his "mad strength." Such idiots, he thought to himself. Then he realized, Hey, maybe if the button breaks it'll force people like you to actually use some of that strength you're always showingoffto open the damn door.

As he sat there working on his homework, he spotted from the corner of his eye a miracle—someone had entered the premises without pushing the handicap button. Luke wanted to congratulate the person for using their arms and hands for things other than pushing buttons. He was more surprised when he found out it was a girl who did it, although he shouldn't be. In fact, the strongest person in the world is a woman I know, but at the time Luke hadn't met her yet so I digress.