Managing Mischief

Geography class is my favourite for three reasons- 1) I score well in it, 2) Ms

Geography class is my favourite for three reasons- 1) I score well in it, 2) Ms. Richards, our teacher, sort of likes me and 3) Becca sucks in Geography. I quickly take my seat and watch Loki sit on one of spare benches.

Have you thought of anything? I ask.

You don't worry about that sweetheart.

Uhh...Loki?

Yes?

Don't do anything extreme.

Your faith in me is disheartening, Rina, he pouts.

I sigh. It's upto you then. But wait for my signal.

Alright.

Ms. Richards comes in and starts my favourite interactive session. Between answering and jotting down notes, I also keep stealing glances at my godfather.

By the time half of the period is over, I slyly turn to him.

Psst, Loki, you there?

He perks up immediately. Yes dear?

Do your thing.

He grins, cracks his knuckles, and flicks his hand casually. Becca's pen rolls down her desk and falls.

Is that all? I ask, rather disappointed.

Patience, Rina.

Becca bends down to pick it up. But here's the funny thing- the moment her fingers brush against the pen, it rolls away further.

I observe her from the corner of my eye as she curses and reaches out towards it again. However the pen, encouraged by my godfather, obstinately rolls away (Poor pen. I can totally relate. Who'd want to stick with her?)

When this happens the fifth or sixth time, Ms. Richards notices her favourite student and loses it.

"Ms. Charles? May I have your kind attention? "

Becca looks up.

"Now may I know why you were studying the floor instead of your geography book?"

"Ms. Richards, I...."

"I've had enough of your excuses Ms. Charles! And they get more ridiculous every single time and I'm not interested in listening to them. Go to the detention room right now."

She mumbles a bunch of obscenities under her breath and gets up. But the moment she leaves her desk...

...

She falls face first on the floor. Looking like a toad kissing the goddamned floor.

She struggles to her feet, throws the class a mean look and takes another step.

And falls again.

Gets up.

Falls. As if the floor has been scrubbed with engine oil.

You know what? I've done a lot of difficult things. Smiled when I was in pain. Hidden my tears. Written a book. Solved that really hard calculus problem. But not controlled my laughter at that moment.

I tried, really. But when Allen turns to me and winks, I lose it and a giggle escapes my lips before I can stop it. Before I know, the entire class has burst into peals of laughter as Becca takes her walk of shame.

If you're gonna be this good, Loki...

Trust me, sweetheart, I'm better.