Looking better

I come back to my room to find Emily missing

I come back to my room to find Emily missing. Maybe she's packing. I see a box of chocolates on my bed. As I pull one out of the box, a black form leaps from the open window. "Kitty!" I cry out, as I make my little friend comfortable on my lap and petting him until a scream outside my door got my attention. Em. It's impossible to ignore a screaming Em, even with a locked door.

I stand to open the door for Emily, but she kicks it open instead since she had a bag in one hand and her phone in other. She was screaming at the person on the other end of the phone: her father.

"No way Dad, I said... no, no, you listen...no, have you lost your min--no, I'm still not...not THAT place! It does not have a goddamned Internet conn--what? You'll do that...yeah...no, I'm ok with that...yes...yeah... alright, I...yeah...I love you too...ONLY if you don't send me there. Yeah, bye, bye Dad."

She cuts the line and looks at me with a smile. "Oh, you started on those alone?" I glanced at the box when she says something unexpected. "I got good news for you: I'm not leaving! Dad wanted to send me to a place in Africa with an unpronounceable name, which did not even have an Internet connection, so I gave him a piece of my mind!"

I stare at her as though I was dreaming. Had this happened? I see kitty jump off the bed and stalk towards the window before leaping out of it. Was the funny man at the river actually Loki? Did he make sure my friend never leaves the place? Or was I going crazy? Em follows my gaze.

"What are you looking at?" she asks me.

"Huh? That cat, he..."

"There's no cat there, you silly girl. You must've overeaten chocolate."

"What? Well, never mind. Oh, Em, I'm happy you're staying!" I hug my best friend.

"We gotta celebrate!"

"The vending machines?"

"Race you to the common room!"

The standard rooms of the connected girls and boys hostels are the only place in a large radius one can expect decent snacks. Since I'm short of money, Em does the buying. While we're still bickering about what else to buy, someone else joins us: Allen Walker, the most popular guy in our school, and my crush.

As he walks down the stairs, with his best friend Chris, talking about something that sounded suspiciously close to calculus, I take in his usual, gorgeous appearance. With his carefully messy, ash brown hair, sparkling silver eyes and perfect features, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to Hollywood or somewhere. Tell you what, even Chris, with his tousled, dirty blond hair and coffee brown eyes looks cute. My best friend has a good choice. While approaching the vending machine, he spots us and flashes me a dazzling smile.

"Hi, Rina. Celebrating Em's farewell party?" he asks.

"Uh...no," I reply, secretly trying hard to keep my voice even. "Em's actually not leaving, so we're celebrating that."

"Good for you guys. Oh, and by the way, that jacket looks great on you."

"T-thanks," I stutter, heat flowing through my cheeks. Allen smiles again before turning to leave. Chris follows him, but at the last moment, looks back and winks at Emily.

"OH MY GOD, Allen Walker complemented you/me!" we speak together, and giggle.

"Well, never mind that- let's start the party!"