FOUR

Unedited as always but enjoy!

--

My eyes opened blearily, hints of sunshine peeking in through the heavy curtains across the room. I moved my head to the side, recognising that I was in James' family home but not quite yet remembering what had happened.

His warm breath hit my ear in small puffs, mouth hanging open with small snores escaping him. His face was peaceful, blank from expression, giving me the perfect moment to analyse him.

The crinkles in the corner of his eyes had disappeared along with the faint smile lines that always adorned his face from smiling and laughing too much.

What had he gone through in the past two and a half years for him to lose such things left me worried. What had really happened to James?

How did he get here?

I knew that at one point or another he would tell me but that was the thing – it didn't matter if we could read each other like the back of our hands if he refused to open up to me.

"Morning," he mumbled, soft blue eyes staring into a chocolate brown.

He grinned lazily, snuggling further into the couch at the returned greeting, head resting on my shoulder rather than his pillow.

"I can't believe that this is real," his voice came out as a mere whisper, still unbelieving that he had finally made it, tugging the blanket tighter around us. "I can't believe that after so many years I've finally got you back."

I stared down at him in disbelief, loving the small innocent grin he sent me.

"Git," I pushed his head off my shoulder when he chuckled, laughing at the idiot that was once one of the most important people in my life.

Well, he still is, I guess.

"You used to fart and trap me under the blankets after faking an emotional moment, James," I sighed, answering his questioning look, "it may have been two and a half years on your side, but it doesn't seem like much has changed from six months ago."

Perhaps he wasn't so different after all.

Perhaps he was still the James I knew.

Perhaps he was still the idiotic git that I fell in love with.

I walked out of the shower in James' room, towelling my hair off as I adjusted the t-shirt I had stolen from one of his draws.

"Oh-um-," a spluttering voice interrupted me, a red-faced Harry sitting on James' grey duvet, turned to face the other way as he tried to find his words.

"It's okay Harry," I chuckled, tossing the towel into the hamper – something I had forced James to get over the break I had spent at his house after seeing the state of his room, "I'm wearing clothes."

"Yeah but you've got no-"

I tugged up the bottom of my shirt once he had turned around once more, his body relaxing once he saw the shorts I had on underneath. I tucked the end of the shirt into the waistband of the denim, figuring it was best to avoid James' smug look that I would receive regardless – it just wouldn't be as suggestive around our son if my shorts were on clear display.

"Right," he coughed into his hand, smiling up at me awkwardly. "Hi."

"Hey," I smiled toothily, walking over to pull him up from the bed, idly making our way over to the stairs down the hall. "Does James know that you're here?"