Nineteen

"We're going to Hamburg!" John cheered as he ran in. "We've got gigs and everything!" He shoved a paper in Mimi's face.

"Look! Look!" He turned to me. "Roxanne! Look!" Apparently there was a paper for me, too.

"But you don't have a passport..." I trailed off, my eyes scanning the sheet.

"Do you think I don't know that?"

"Yes."

He punched me playfully in the shoulder.

"Mimi's got the legal stuff there to sign."

"Erm, John," Mimi looked up from her page.

"Yeah, Mimi?"

"Would you say I was your parent or guardian?"

John paused. "Both."

Mimi signed the document and handed it back to him.

"So how long will you be gone?" Mimi asked.

"Awhile." He replied before looking at me. "Roxanne, will you come with me? I even got you legal papers for a passport!" I shook my head sadly.

"I-I'm afraid." I replied and John frowned.

"The ones who died aren't even really your parents."

I shot up immediately.

"Just because they weren't my biological parents doesn't mean they loved me!" The word 'love' seemed odd on my tongue. "They loved me more than my real parents." I spat. Mimi gave us both a funny look.

"You'll never believe me." I glanced at Mimi then fixed my gaze back on John.

"You shouldn't be afraid of cars when you're 14."

"I am anyways."

"Freak."

"I am not a freak!" I stamped my foot down.

The doorbell rang. "Must be Julia." Mimi murmured. Ever since the fight happened Julia and Mimi have been trying to get along better. I find it annoying.

The fight had happened over half a year ago. Julia came over in search of John after he ran off during his birthday party that she had held for him. There was yelling, and I was right above as it was happening. It was quite uncomfortable.

Anyways, it was a wonderful April afternoon. I had avoided Julia this whole time. I still don't like her much. I heard them talking and laughing downstairs, and after awhile, John left for Paul's.

So I sat there, listening to their chatter. I scoffed. Like a bunch of parrots. The only words I ever understand from Julia are

"Oh, I must be going now, Mimi."

I am full of joy every time she says that sentence. It's wonderful.

"Oh, I must be going now, Mimi."

Those words sounded like heaven to my ears. I heard the door close behind her and grinned as she walked out. Suddenly a squeal of tires came as she crossed the street, and a large thump followed. My mouth was wide open in horror. I leapt over to the window and saw Julia, lying on the pavement.

"Mimi!" I screeched, running down the stairs. "Mimi! You have to come outside!"

"Hmm? What's the big hurry?" Mimi looked up. She was in the kitchen, washing the empty teacups.

"Didn't you hear that?"

"Hear what?"

I sighed angrily. "Come on!"