Eighteen

I sat outside in the backyard beside Mimi. I haven't done much with John lately, things have been pretty awkward between us, ever since he... Kissed ....me.. Nevermind about that. The past is in the past. But besides, it was obvious it was- no, I can't think like that.

"Are you okay, dear?" Mimi asked. I nodded, staring up at the clouds. It was pretty hot for almost August. "You should try some sports." I glanced at her, nodding slowly.

"Perhaps I should." I trailed off.

"Great, great. Because I was out yesterday and found this." She handed me a brochure and I opened it.

"Badminton!"

It seemed interesting enough. One week.

"Alright, I'm sold."

"You're already signed up anyways, so you had to say yes either way." She got up and walked back into the house.

I had sat there until about sunset, when I went inside myself.

"I almost forgot- you start tomorrow at noon." Mimi said from inside the living room. I headed upstairs towards my room until I stopped, being able to hear strumming of multiple guitars at once.

"No, no. Not like that. Second string first fret, not second fret." I recognized Paul's voice through the closed door.

"Alright. Like this?"

"Yeah. Try it again."

The strumming restarted.

I stayed outside the room, sliding down the wall until I was sitting. I didn't want to barge in or anything, so I just stayed there.

I had nodded off or something, because the door suddenly opened.

"I have to go. My dad is probably wondering where I'm at so late."

I jumped up, pretending to be just heading to the room.

"Oh, hey, Paul." I mumbled as I tried to pass by him.

"Roxanne! Where were you? I didn't see any lights on at your house."

"Uh, Mary's... She went..."

"She went on a trip for awhile and Roxanne's staying with us until she comes back." John came out of the room, making Paul spin around. This was about the third time he's visited since the fete.

"I've noticed there hasn't much activity around there." Paul finally said. They climbed down the stairs, leaving me in the hallway.

"Except when she comes back," I huffed under my breath, "I want absolutely nothing to do with her." Opening the door fully, I sat on my bunk and stared out the window. I saw Paul on the sidewalk carrying his guitar, glance at the house one last time before walking off. I heard somebody coming up the stairs so I laid down quickly, pulling the covers over myself, and pretending to be asleep. The door opened and John walked in silently. He stood there for a moment.

"I know you're not asleep."

I didn't move.

"Get up, Roxanne." I heard him get onto the ladder and he shook my shoulder. I shoved him back and he fell off, landing with a thump. I opened my eyes and leaned over to see. His mouth was bleeding. Badly.

"Oh, god. I'm sorry!"

I climbed off and rushed towards him, mumbling "Oh god-" over and over again. I grabbed a box of tissues and handed them to him. As I turned around to get anything else to help John snorted.

"I'm hurt," he said sarcastically, a note of anger in his tone, "And you expect me to clean myself up."

I spun around, glaring at him. "Yes, I do. You're not crippled." I spat.